InstCarn Recap: Day 2 - AM Keynote

mjennings
Community Contributor

TL;DR

Schools most successful when it connects people to community, not isolate themselves in their ivy towers.

Session Notes

Adora Svitak - The Flying Philosopher

NOTE: I lost several of the images that I took during the session. I have noted where I am borrowing an image found on Twitter.

Looking back to what she was grateful for.

Experiences that put her in places close to passionate people willing to stand up for what they believe.

What should education do? Schools most successful when it connects people to community, not isolate themselves in their ivy towers.

We need to focus also on who we are, not just who we want to be.

Most students educational success is determined more by their zip code that their potential.

Meritocracy describes a new class of students based on the success on test. It was intended to be satire and a warning. But we can not quantify the ability of someone’s merit based on a test. It is not sufficient.

It’s not enough to make people smart but we need to make them good.

We need young people to fight for what the world should be, not what it is.

How can we teach about the world while isolating them from the world?

283900_pastedImage_1.jpg

A huge part of creating social change is building community.

Students are not a bridge from matriculation to graduation but mountain movers & Trail Blazers. They are dynamite.

We can use technology to either isolate or to bring together. Education is a valuable resource not a commodity to be bought.

We need to fundamentally change the purpose of school. Schools need to be incubators for change in the world.

*All of the content here is from my live session notes or straight from my memory. This means that I may miss something or be mistaken in my content. Please feel free to add to, put in context, or correct any mistakes by using the comments below.