Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Hack Night; What is on your list?

Hi All,

instructurecon hacknight attendees working togetherOnce again Hack Night will be happening Wednesday night from 8 - 11 PM, this time in the Grand Ballroom.  As in years past we'll have plenty of tables for people to gather around to talk about whatever they want to work on with respect to Canvas.  If you haven't been before, these informal ad hoc conversations can be very techie, with people discussing integrations, app design and open source coding.  At other tables you will find people discussing good course design and maybe being introduced to a new teaching technique or even seeing Canvas live for the first time (it happens).  This year we, again will have a no host bar, engineers from Salt Lake onsite and also remoting in via dedicated workstations, our sponsor set up onsite (Unicon), and a healthy mix of Instructure employees and advocates on hand to help out.  As in the past we will also have some pre-printed table top signage to help people sort into like minded groups as well as blank signs for people to fill out as they may choose.  Do you have a particular topic or activity you are hoping to connect around with other people?  If so, please start the conversation here and give us ideas about what topics to print and bring with us.

315449_LBCC_Floorplan.png

Tags (2)
40 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

What fun scottd@instructure.com. I can only imagine the buzz in the room when this takes place. 

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hack Night PinFor Community Members who check in using the QR code printed on those nifty tabletop signs Scott mentioned, there is a special edition Community Badge and 50 points up for grabs!

See InstructureCon 2019 • Community Badges‌ for more details!! :smileygrin:

Highlighted

kristin.lundstrum@delasalle.com,

Is there a "no purchase necessary" clause in there for those of us without the technological skills to use a QR code?

Highlighted

james@richland.edu, we'll be there to work something out for you.

Highlighted
Adventurer

Oh Hack Night! One of my favorite activities of #instcon‌!! Looking forward to another great time.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Last year I ended up having some great Instructional Design conversations at Hack Night! I know it's not what you might think of as the normal "hack night" type thing, but it was really useful and a lot of fun! 🙂

Kona

Highlighted

Hey Kona,

Actually, I disagree - I think Instructional Design has become a very normal hack night topic in that it seems to be one of the larger interests.  One of my favorite aspects of Hack Night is that its for everybody - super techie through to people who just found out about Canvas a week before.  'Hack your course' seems to resonate with a lot of folks.  Anyway, I'm looking forward to hopefully another great year.  

Oh, and we will definitely work something out for any QR code-adverse husbands who decide to show up too.  Smiley Happy  

Highlighted

QR-adverse may be a misrepresentation of the issue.

I have the qrcode package installed for LaTeX and have printed QR codes that feedback from one assignment without divulging grades to other students. I was trying to match students together into balanced groups so I used the color of the QR code to let me know which group the students were in. We started with someone from the red group to be team leaders. Then they picked names from the green group. Then they picked people from the blue group. They didn't know what the colors represented, we were just demonstrating good simple random sampling of drawing names on slips of paper from the proverbial hat. After the names were picked and each person had their own lip of paper, they could scan the QR code and get the feedback on an assignment.

I've printed QR codes for students to go around and have people scan to take a survey. Many of the students had trouble using them as well and in many cases, my students handed their phone over to the person they were interviewing to complete the survey because they couldn't get the QR code to work. And yes, I followed all the rules regarding size and whitespace around it.

In theory, QR codes are a neat idea. In practice, there are issues.

My problem with QR codes centers around a lack of technology that can scan a QR code. My wife's issue, when there were QR codes at the tables that people were instructed to scan, was the inability to get connected amid the thousands of attendees at InstructureCon.

Highlighted

That does seem rather complicated, James.  It seems like most instructors I have known, as they move along in their careers move more and more towards simple lesson plans and teaching techniques that don't invite confusion and chaos.

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels