cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jdecker
Community Participant

What percent of parents are signing up to observe students in your instance of Canvas?

Hey everyone,

What percent of parents are you are seeing sign up for a parent account to observe their student(s)? If you have a high percentage of parents doing this, I would love to hear about your strategy to help make that happen...

Thanks!

Josh

20 Replies
kbeimfohr
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

We did not start the school year with this feature enabled.  Therefore we have been playing catch-up all year long.  We hope to have a better plan for the next school year.  A few of our goals for the district include:

• Each teacher will demonstrate how they will be using Canvas with their students at "Back-to-School Night."
  • Kiosks will be available in classrooms/hallways with student ambassadors to assist with parents creating accounts at "Back-to-School Night."
  • Encourage our teachers to post all announcements/resources for parents in their Canvas course, and NOT just e-mail it to them.
  • Hold Parent Tech Nights at the district level to inform parents about the LMS and other district technology resources available to them.
  • Send out phone/text messages to parents to encourage them to sign up.

With these strategies, I am optimistic that our numbers will increase dramatically our second year.

jdecker
Community Participant

Thanks kbeimfohr​ for the excellent ideas Smiley Happy. I really like the kiosk option at back-to-school nights and parent-teacher conferences...a lot of our Canvas users are Chromebook classrooms and we could easily turn any number of them into public kiosk devices in a couple of minutes that would open right up to our Canvas login where a parent could sign up right then and there (and then with ongoing encouragement for parents we hopefully will see a larger percent join and be active observers)...

I appreciate you taking the time to collaborate.

Josh

sara_chai
Community Contributor

Josh,

We've had parents logging in with students to see how they are doing, but not an easy high success of parent observers.  Parents are having a rough time "figuring" it out.  It hasn't helped that the views are (slightly) different depending on platform / mobile device.  I'm working on making it slightly more of an ease of use next year, but the observer feature is something I need to still figure out better.

aburge
Community Participant

I was hoping to get parents in on the discussions.  I found out that isn't an option.  If we are trying to increase parent involvement, I think that would be a good feature to add.

keyaiko
Community Participant

I may be wrong, but I believe parents can be allowed to participate in discussions if your Canvas administrator enables that feature in the account or sub-account where the parents are enrolled.

sara_chai
Community Contributor

Also, I just found out one student can only have ONE observer account.  This is NOT good for students with multiple households (two parents - divorced, separated, etc.).  They have to log in with the same observer account.  It is not easy.

marthazumack
Community Contributor

You can indeed allow Observers to post in discussions. This feature can be enabled under the Course Roles Permissions setting (seeHow do I set permissions for a course-level role in an account? ).​ The feature to enable is "Post to Discussions."

jdecker
Community Participant

Do you allow your parent observers to post to discussions  @marthazumack ​?

ysmalls
Community Champion

Kyle,

I'm interesting in finding out how you are handling parent accounts who are also teachers?  We have many teachers in our district who are also parent's, we are creating the accounts for them provided they have an email address listed in our SIS.  Most of these parents are using their work email address which is almost like their kids address for the district.

Has anyone come across this?

Than you.