cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

Canvas FastTrack Ep. 18 - Fun Formative Assessments

The Canvas FastTrack Video series is a collection of quick videos aligning Canvas with Dr. Puentedura’s SAMR Model of Technology Integration.  This model has been used by many institutions as a framework for infusing technology into teaching and learning activities.  In the video collection we will dive into the various tools in Canvas and how they align with the SAMR Model of Technology.  Watch this four-minute video introduction to SAMR if you aren’t already familiar with the model.

Episode 18 is a 2 1/2 minute video about Fun Formative Assessments embedded into Canvas via Modules; at the Augmentation level of Technology integration providing accessible fun content for students is key.  Use some fun Web 2.0 tools embedded and accessible directly in Canvas.  See how these tools can keep students engaged and attentive all while you are collecting great formative data on their responses and performance. 

Thanks for watching and please feel free to leave feedback, requests, and suggestions in the comments below!

Labels (1)
11 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

lstark@instructure.com Nice Work  No suggestions yet Smiley Happy 

Highlighted
Learner II

lstark@instructure.com, I thought I had seen Kahoot before but perhaps not, looks much more visual and engaging that what I remember, similar to quizzizz.com, that's the other one I keep meaning to checkout.  We've been using H5P and Quizlet a bit for ungraded formative assessment but I think these have a more fun feel.  Good ideas.

- Melanie

Highlighted
Community Member

These games support student engagement - so glad several good ones link smoothly.

I like using Quizizz as it posts the questions on the student devices - that eliminates that long transfer from what is seen at the front of the room and to where the students must respond.  But I did hear that Kahoot has some updates, so that will be worth looking at again.  There's always something new to see & learn...

Highlighted
Community Member

Since Socrative is not available in our K-12 instance, I checked out their website and the Pro version (Socrative ). Socrative is not listed on the EduApps site either. I registered for a free version, but don't see the LTI information. I'll have to try to present a quiz as an embedded HTML frame in a Canvas page, but I'm dubious this will work. Does anyone here know the step or two I'm missing in order to link to my account through the Canvas LTI feature?

Highlighted

Hi ronmarx@mac.com‌, 

Great Question! We don't actually have an integration with Socrative as an LTI meaning scores students receive won't pass back to the Canvas Gradebook (i.e. participation credit) and there is not a way to quickly search previous Socrative items that you've created (like a YouTube search, that would be COOL). So either if you have permission to add in the redirect LTI you can redirect to Socrative on the course left hand navigation, or you can embed it as an external URL to a module or... tiny bit more challenging, but you can iFrame it in to a content page or assignment in the RCE with an iFrame generator.  So it does have that "clunky" feeling in the initial set-up, but a fun fun formative assessment tool. 

Hopefully one day we will have an integration with Socrative in the LTI space. Smiley Happy 

Thanks!

Leslie

Highlighted
Learner II

lstark@instructure.com‌, I am a huge fan of "Today's Meet" and use it a great deal when we do streamed events that don't have an easy chat feature for the audience. We have also used the Canvas chat on occasion but I feel that it has been so simplified that I struggle to use it. I would love to be able to save chat sessions and reset the session without having to delete each post separately. Given this, I find "Today's Meet" a much more functional alternative than the built in chat 😞

Highlighted

Hi orwinr‌, 

Thank you so much for your feedback. Yes Chat in Canvas is a bit limited.  There are numerous tools out there that are focused on one outcome only like chat and do it really well.  I too love Today's Meet I actually used it as a back channel for an online presentation a few weeks ago.  Smiley Happy

Did you know that Today's Meet can be embedded into a Canvas Page? You can have your room open for an hour, day, week, month and have it embedded in a page so students never have to leave Canvas. Smiley Happy The beauty of openness is that so many things can be added to Canvas to make it that great one-stop shop for students! 

Thank so much for your passion to drive engagement with students! 

Leslie

Highlighted

I am excited to look into this tool.  I think that it would be great for our online courses. This might be a great alternative to posting questions on Padlet in a Redirect within the course.

Highlighted

I'm liking the sound of embedding Today's meet into a page lstark@instructure.com Hoping to give it a try soon.