cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lstark
Adventurer

Canvas FastTrack Ep. 2 - Video Announcements

Jump to solution

The Canvas FastTrack Video series is a collection of quick videos aligning Canvas with Dr. Puentedura’s SAMR Model of Technology Integration.  This model has been used by many institutions as a framework for infusing technology into teaching and learning activities.  In the video collection we will dive into the various tools in Canvas and how they align with the SAMR Model of Technology.  Watch this four-minute video introduction to SAMR if you aren’t already familiar with the model.

Episode 2 is a 2 1/2 minute video about Video Announcements; at the Substitution level of Technology integration how a teacher or instructor can quickly communicate with Students, T.A.'s and Observers about upcoming events, units or immediate notifications in the course. Even some tips and tricks about creating video announcements from your mobile app!

Thanks for watching and please feel free to leave feedback, requests, and suggestions in the comments below!

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jomontuori
Community Member

Nice idea! Audio and/or video should liven up announcements quite a bit. I'm going to try it out!

View solution in original post

22 Replies
myanalunas
Community Member

This informative short video made me think of how to meet Accessibility guidelines and browsing the Canvas Guides I found a fabulous link to Amara. I plan to have fun with that this weekend adding subtitles to videos I create.

Thanks for this interesting way to keep up-to-date teaching with Canvas!

Meg

Thanks for the tip Meg.  I am looking at Amara now.

jomontuori
Community Member

Nice idea! Audio and/or video should liven up announcements quite a bit. I'm going to try it out!

View solution in original post

drimmer
Community Member

Apart from my Economics and Business Studies courses, I also teach British Sign Language courses - it will be fantastic to include signed videos in announcements to those students - thanks for the tip!

delester
Community Member

The video tool is not available to me as an account Admin when creating an account-level announcement for all users from Settings > Announcements.

Screen Shot 2016-08-11 at 11.06.42 AM.png

Hi  @delester ​

You have brought up an excellent point! I too thought there was a media link for the Global announcement settings, but alas there is not.  When I asked why? I was given a response that Global Announcements are not viewed as a location for blogging or vlogging.  They are to be utilized for those big announcements like "Classes Cancelled Snow Day." 

So, long story short, it is not hidden from you, it is something that is missing in the Global Announcement functionality of the Rich Content Editor.  Maybe a feature request for it would help?

Thanks!

Leslie

@delester ,  @lstark ​ has pointed you in the right direction, and you might be interested in adding your feedback and vote to , which is in the "Under Consideration" stage.

scott_e_hamm
Surveyor

Has anyone had success adding a video from the Canvas app via their iPhone?  I get this funky message:  file.jpeg

DrNufer
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Video announcements are a fantastic way to engage students and facilitate an online community.  ADA and accessibility may be issues.  Just from this thread, I'm looking at amara.  What else do people do in order to caption videos with minimal work?