cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CHEGGER
Surveyor

Copying quizzes & revising points

I copied a quiz from a previous course into my current one. On the new quiz, I deleted a couple questions so now the quiz is worth 56 points instead of 64. The quiz itself reflects the new point total of 56. However, the gradebook still thinks the quiz is worth 64 points, so my students are receiving lower grades. How do I fix this?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good morning, @CHEGGER ...

That sounds strange.  A few questions for you:

1. Are you using current Classic Quizzes or New Quizzes?
  2. If you are using current Classic Quizzes, after you deleted the questions from your quiz, did you make sure to "Save" the changes to your quiz?  There's a "Save" button at the very bottom of your quiz as you are editing questions...which is separate from updating each question individually.  If you are using current Classic Quizzes, I would assume that the quiz should display the correct new overall total of 54 points.
  3. Do you have any other quizzes in your course that have similar names?  (Trying to narrow down if you may have overlooked a similar column name in your Gradebook.)

Hopefully this will help you a bit.  Looking forward to hearing back from you about these questions.  Take care...be well.

CHEGGER
Surveyor

Hi chofer,

I'm using New Quizzes and consider myself a pro at making quizzes - I've never had this happen before. Now that I've edited a previous quiz and saved it to my new course, the gradebook won't change the total points, so I have to go back and adjust the grade manually. See attached screen shots. The quiz page indicates 56 points, but the gradebook insists it's 64 points.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @CHEGGER ...

Thanks for providing that additional information.  When you edit the details for that New Quiz, are you able to change the score as displayed in this screen shot?  For example, I can tell you that when I edit the questions I have for this quiz, it's worth 11 points.  But, as you can see in this screenshot from the same quiz, it's set as 0 points.  So, if you are able to change this field for your own quiz to match the new total, I *think* that may help to solve the issue.

NewQuizLTI.jpg

Keep us posted...thanks!

CHEGGER
Surveyor

It doesn't give me the option to set points. Maybe because this is a quiz and not an assignment? See attached. 

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi again, @CHEGGER ...

Yeah...looks like you are using a current Classic Quiz instead of a New Quiz.  I just logged in to a sandbox course I have where I can try out New Quizzes, and New Quizzes uses an External Tool similar to this screenshot:

NewQuiz.jpg

Since you are using Classic Quizzes, Canvas should be automatically calculating the quiz total for you so that you don't have to populate that point total on your own.  One other thought I just had...do you, by chance, have a rubric attached to the Classic Quiz?  How do I add a rubric to a quiz? - Canvas Community  It's possible to attach a rubric to a Classic Quiz and have that rubric be a completely different point total than the total points of the quiz questions.  So, you might want to check that as well.

Beyond those things, I think it's probably best that you reach out to Canvas Support to see if they can log into your course with you to take a look at things.  How do I get help with Canvas as an instructor? - Canvas Community  If you end up chatting with them, please come back to this topic to provide an update for us...thanks.