cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

Missing assignments option

Jump to solution

I'm having a problem with the "automatically apply a grade for missing submissions" option. I have assignments' grades come into Canvas from a third party tool (Cengage/WebAssign). However, any missing assignments are not being flagged as missing, nor being given the grade that I set (0% in this case).

Anyone see something similar, or have a suggestion on how to fix this?

(apologies if this is posted in the wrong place - I'm new here!)

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, Adam,

I checked on the status of our last response and we cannot know if a submission is required from an external tool. Therefore, Canvas does not take any action that could potentially harm students.

With no submission, on paper, and external tool assignments, Canvas does not know if students are supposed to turn in a submission, even if it is intended to be submitted in class. Only the online assignment type can determine the receipt of student submissions.

The three non-supported assignment types can be manually set to missing, but the status won't be changed automatically. For On Paper or No Submission assignments, you can use the Default Grade option in the grade book to grade assignments, if needed.

Thanks,

Erin

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Highlighted
Learner II

Yes! I just started using the new grade book for summer courses and have noticed that external tool assignments do not populate the grade for the missing assignment policy I have set (a zero). adam.christopherson@sfcollege.edu‌, I filed a bug report this morning, and the known issues page suggests that if you have a problem with the grade book to file a bug. This is a super useful feature that falls apart if the policy does not apply to all assignments. I was so happy that I could save time by not having to police the grade book for unsubmitted assignments. 

Deactivated user‌, could you look into this for us? Thank you! Smiley Happy 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

We don't currently have a way to know if third party tools mark things as submitted or not. We are looking at a possible solution for this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor II

Related is that PAPER Submission assignments don't automatically get assigned a 0 and Missing.  I would love for this to happen, anything ungraded after the due date should just automatically go to missing and 0 (if we set up the option) I use Canvas in a Junior High Setting and still need to have paper assignments.  But going in and manually marking dozens of students missing that didn't turn it in on time is time consuming, but I need to because that is their clue to get the assignment turned in.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor II

Another item that would be helpful is if when I added a grade to PAPER Submissions is if it automatically updated the Status to None or Late according to the time the grade was inputed.  BTW, the auto marked as 0 and missing seems to be working for PAPER assignments now. not 100% sure but I deleted a grade out and it auto filled it to 0 and missing couldn't quite tell if it was a glitch or a feature.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I also have found that we no longer can set ANYTHING that is missing (or not yet taken) to zero.  It does not work in the new grade book.  I had converted to the new grade book in all of my many classes, but had to return to the old one because of a crucial problem this created when dropping grades.  I drop the lowest exam score and the lowest four score for a series of very small assignments.  The new gradecenter does not count missing or not-yet completed scores.  So it drops their first exam, then the lowest out of two, then the lowest out of three, and so on.  This means that students get inaccurate performance feedback all throughout the semester until the very end of the class!  Please do not switch to the new gradebook until this is fixed!   

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, Adam,

I checked on the status of our last response and we cannot know if a submission is required from an external tool. Therefore, Canvas does not take any action that could potentially harm students.

With no submission, on paper, and external tool assignments, Canvas does not know if students are supposed to turn in a submission, even if it is intended to be submitted in class. Only the online assignment type can determine the receipt of student submissions.

The three non-supported assignment types can be manually set to missing, but the status won't be changed automatically. For On Paper or No Submission assignments, you can use the Default Grade option in the grade book to grade assignments, if needed.

Thanks,

Erin

View solution in original post

Highlighted

The issue many of us as users have (especially in the K-12, and large class

size Higher Ed classes) is that on paper assignments that are not turned in

require I go through and individually for as many as 100 students mark it

as missing and then mark it 'none' when they finally turn it in. Ideally

once the due date is past (If I have set this feature to work this way) it

would mark it as 0 points and missing and then when a score is inputted

(either through Canvas or manually) this missing designation would

automatically be removed. IE: if there is a score clearly it's not

missing. Right now what should be an automated feature is a tedious manual

one.

Mitchell Jorgensen M.Ed.

mitchelljorgensen@alpinedistrict.org

http://my.uen.org/53474

cell: 801-769-6823

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

100% of my content is imported through SCORM. This is a huge concern given that I can't trust anyone's grades and will have to manually calculate every student's grade and deal with them all emailing me because Canvas told them that they had a perfect grade so why did I change it. This is the worst, among the many, problems that were inserted as improvements. 

0 Kudos