Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tmenghini
Surveyor

SOLVED: New Quizzes Not Showing Up In Gradebook

Jump to solution

Hi,

I made a "New Quizzes" with Canvas. I like all the new features but for some reason the grades are not in the gradebook. I cannot find them for the life of me. The only way that I can get the grades is to go into the new quiz and click "Moderate" to see the grades. You can see in the screen shots below that I simply do not have "Q03 - Part 1 (Canvas)". It is just missing.

Plus, in order to view the speedgrader I have to manually type the URL for the speedgrader in. Is there something I am doing wrong? This quiz is not a survey and is worth points in the settings.

Screenshot 2020-10-06 115836.pngScreenshot 2020-10-06 115858.png

EDIT: I have solved this problem. The issue was that there wasn't a due date on the assignment. I hope that this helps someone down the road if they have the same problem that I did.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BStutzman
Lamplighter II

This isn't solved.  It is a known glitch with Canvas and they say that they are working on it.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Nancy_Webb_CCSF
Adventurer

Hi @tmenghini - brilliant to figure it out yourself.  I am looking for documentation about needing a due date.  Can you share where you found that information?  Thanks!

By guessing and checking...

Nancy_Webb_CCSF
Adventurer

Too funny! That's often the best way. I believe your solution is known by Canvas support.

BStutzman
Lamplighter II

Having this issue today and the assignment had a due date.  I added availability dates and tweaked the due date.  This did not help.  I still can't get the grades to move to the gradebook.

Some teachers I work with also reported this problem, though I haven't experienced it (yet). They see the column in the gradebook, so it's not an issue with the due date, but they do report needing to go to the Moderate page and manually type in the grades for some of the students; however, the grades do populate for others. Because they see the grade on the Moderate page, we know that the student did, indeed, finish/submit the quiz (that was my first question).

BStutzman
Lamplighter II

This isn't solved.  It is a known glitch with Canvas and they say that they are working on it.

View solution in original post

jlubkinchavez
Explorer III

NOT solved. I hit this bug today. Called Instructure support before I found this thread. They confirmed it is a known bug. They said the best workaround they can offer is at the student, not assignment level. Moderate the student's attempt, give them a fudge point (at the bottom), hit update, then (if you like) take the fudge point away and hit update again. The bad news is, depending on the student's notifications settings, they will get a notification that "Your assignment XXX has been graded."

This is a bad bug. First it degrades trust between the teacher and student when the teacher says "you didn't submit" (looking at the gradebook) and the student (rightly) says "yes, I did." Then the fix sends out notifications that pile on and can confuse the student. Really hoping they fix soon! They say it's rare...sure hope so. It's only the first assignment in a course that will have hundreds of students...

dkrasne
Surveyor

I'm also having this problem, for the first time; previously I'd set quizzes to display results either as points or percentage, but this time it's complete/incomplete. I don't know if that's what made the difference or not. I don't use the gradebook, but it shows up in my to-do list as quizzes that need grading, even though every question on the quiz is self-correcting.