Feedback Opportunity: Test the Prototype for "Content"

This blog from the Instructure Product Team is no longer considered current. While the resource still provides value to the product development timeline, it is available only as a historical reference.

dlyons
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

If you know anything about how we product at Instructure, you may have seen this handy image of the Feature Development Lifecycle.

Yes, we really use a drill to build Canvas. #TheMoreYouKnowYes, we really use a drill to build Canvas. #TheMoreYouKnow

Today we get to focus on the 'iterate' loop. I spent the last several months talking to many of you about how you organize content in your courses (i.e. "Files", not "Modules") and we've come up with some ideas we are excited to get your feedback on. By building prototypes first, we can iterate on designs before building anything in Canvas.

But a prototype is only as valuable as the feedback you give us!

Completing this test should only take about 10min and your thoughtful input helps us make Canvas better for everyone. Follow the link below to get started. And as always, Thank You for being part of the Canvas Community.

Canvas "Content" Prototype (update 2021-09-13: this prototype is now closed for feedback. Thank you, everyone!) 

This blog from the Instructure Product Team is no longer considered current. While the resource still provides value to the product development timeline, it is available only as a historical reference.

11 Comments
MattHanes
Community Champion

Holy crap, I didn't even know I wanted these things until I saw this prototype and now I want it all RIGHT NOW. Really loving this prototype.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Wow, @dlyons - These are amazing updates to consider. THANK YOU for taking the time to share the possibilities with the Community!! I really hope that some (or all?) of these find their way to production. 🙂

christopher_phi
Community Champion

It took me a couple of tries to get the prototype to work, but these are ideas are a welcome change to how content is managed in Canvas and seems like it would provide a much more robust foundation to allow faculty to organize their content in a way that makes sense to them. 

A couple of thoughts: 

1. Some of the additional functionality (content filters, "in use", page renaming) are similar to what is provided by the Cidi Labs TidyUP LTI tool which we use and love. 
  2. I like the idea of being able to know if content is in use or not, but the idea of knowing if content is in use in a specific module seems like it would require a very module-specific taxonomy which may be a big ask for many instructors. 

I'll that send - it definitely seems like a huge step forward and would address what I think has been the top idea for a few years: 

Allow folders in Pages

Sylvia_Ami
Community Contributor

In agree @MattHanes . This could be dangerous because it puts grandiose ideas into our heads 😉.

@christopher_phi I couldn't get the scenarios to start when I used Firefox but it worked in Chrome.

My comments included being able to search on words or phrases in all pages, assignments, etc. I doubt this is in the current scope of the Content Prototype and I realize there are 3rd party tools that do this, but I thought I'd mention it while I had the chance. @dlyons  I appreciate having the opportunity to get a sneak peak and provide feedback.

Hildi_Pardo
Community Champion
I love usability testing!  Thanks for sharing this experience with us.

So, as I reflect on the experience (it was not possible to "Go Back" and view a mission again to explore the page more) -- I think this means that Pages / Files / Assignments /Quizzes, etc, would be removed as separate places in the course navigation, and all content would be managed from one place, but just viewed in folders.

It seems cleaner to me, and I think it would make more sense to teachers.

I was amazed at how easy it was to "transition" from how I'm used to getting around, to a new navigation.   This is very exciting!
BethCrook
Community Contributor

I'm going to repeat the others in saying "Holy crap!" This is fantastic and dangerous all at the same time!  Thank you for sharing with us

marthazumack
Community Contributor

As many above have said, WOW! I want this now! 

I do have concerns about what counts as being 'in a module' or not. We have a minimal number of pages per modules and all the files, further pages, images, etc are then linked to or embedded in those few pages. I'd need to know if those 'count' or not.

daniela
Community Participant

Reposting on the correct board!

venitk
Community Champion

I agree with @marthazumack. For me, the value of knowing if something is in a module or not is whether it's being used in the course or is an old file just hanging out, taking up storage space.

So, with that end goal in mind, it would be helpful to know whether something is either in a module OR linked to from something that's in a module. 

MarikaMcFall
Community Member

What is the result of "Content"? 

Specifically, "how you organize content in your courses (i.e. "Files", not "Modules") and we've come up with some ideas we are excited to get your feedback".

Thank you.

dlyons
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@MarikaMcFall, we collected lots of great insights into the good and bad of managing course materials. We're always trying to better understand the opportunities to support teaching and learning, and not every idea goes to immediate development.