(3)

Currently Canvas will only allow one weight scheme for assignment groups. We would like the option to have more than one weight scheme for the course and therefore more than one "Total" column in the gradebook. The option for 2 or 3 different schemes would be nice.

For instance, many of my colleagues and I allow students to use the final exam to replace the lowest midterm ONLY if it is advantageous to the student. So there are two schemes for these course: 1. All exams are included 2. The worst midterm exam is dropped and the final exam replaces its weight. And the students ultimate course grade is the better of the two. This would requiring allowing different weights for the assignment groups and different rules for the assignment within the groups but also display both options under grades.

Right now, there is no way to do this in Canvas (although I have seen it in some other LMSs) and we have to calculate grades for the second scheme outside of Canvas. Additionally students are not able to view their running grade total under grades in Canvas for both schemes; only one of the schemes can be displayed so I personally choose the one that is beneficial to most of the students some of my colleagues do not use the Canvas gradebook at all and only use Excel, for example, because of this limitation.  

Who rated this idea