Can you sort attendance data by badge?

HarrisonOtis
Community Member

Hi everyone,

At the school where I teach, there's a department-wide rule that students must attend 75% of class sessions in order to pass the class. So when I keep track of attendance, I need to be able to keep track of how many classes students have physically attended. However, I also give my students excused absences in case of sickness, such that if they do a certain amount of make-up work I will count them as present even if they physically missed a class. 

In Canvas, I've been notating excused absences by counting students present and assigning them an Excused badge. This makes the grades work out right, counting excused absences alongside actual presences for their attendance grade. However, because of my department's policy, I also need to discriminate between physical presences and physical absences--so I need to be able to count how many Excused badges each of my students have. 

However, I haven't found a way to sort attendance data by badge. Right now, the only way I know of to see my students' total number of badges is to check every attendance record for every day and manually add the total. This would be mind-numbingly tedious, however, and I want to avoid it if at all possible. I did try exporting my roll call attendance data so that I could sort the data using a spreadsheet, but the spreadsheet that Canvas exported left the "Badges" column blank.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to sort attendance data by badge? Is this possible? Or is my only recourse to count manually?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Users who also had this question