How do I link a student to my user account as an observer?

Document created by Canvas Doc Team Employee on Apr 19, 2017Last modified by Canvas Doc Team Employee on Aug 5, 2017
Version 6Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

If you signed up for a Canvas account as a parent and linked yourself to a student, you can add additional students to observe within the same institution. Additionally, if an institution created an observer account linked to a student for you, you can add additional students to observe.

Notes:

• You cannot add students whose accounts are not within the same institution (Canvas URL) as yours. To observe students in another institution, you must sign up for an account using that institution's Canvas URL.
  • If you are not able to access all of a student's courses, the option to link to additional students is not available to you.
  • You can only add additional students to your account if you are already linked to at least one student.
  • Once you have linked to a student from the Observing page, you cannot remove the student. To remove a student, please contact the student's instructor.
  • If you are using the Canvas Parent app, students linked in the browser will also have to be linked in the app. Linked accounts do not currently sync between the web browser and the app.

Open User Settings

Open User Settings

In Global Navigation, click the Account link [1], then click the Settings link [2].

Open Observing

Open Observing

In User Navigation, click the Observing link.

Add Student

Add Student

In the Username [1] and Password [2] fields, enter the student's username and password.

Click the Add Student button [3].

View Student

View Student

View the new student you are observing.

You are here
Table of Contents > Introduction > How do I link a student to my user account as an observer?
1 person found this helpful

Attachments

Outcomes