cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I view my list of observed students?

How do I view my list of observed students?

As an observer, you can view a list of your observed students. You can also add observed students to your observing list.

Open Account

Open Account

In Global Navigation, click the Account Link.

Open Observing

Open Observing

In the User Account menu, click the Observing link.  

Open Observing URL

If your User Account menu does not display an Observing link, your institution's account configuration may not allow the Observer link to display, or your account may not be linked to a student account.

You can access your Observing page by adding /observees to the profile page URL.

View Observing

View Observing

The Observing page displays a list of students you are observing [1].

You can also link additional students to your observer account using a pairing code [2].

Comments

My account shows I am observing both of my students, however, when I go to my dashboard I only see one of my student's classes.  I have tried to add with a new pairing code. It will not let me. My husband can see both girl's classes at once. Can anyone help me ?? 

I have the same issue (I only see one of my children's classes).  How do you switch between student accounts?

Hi @elizabet_270858 and @tdggal1980,

You can view which student belongs to which course from the Dashboard. You may also need to favorite the courses first for them to display in the Dashboard.

You can also switch between students in the Parent app.

Cody

I am showing I am observing both my children, however, the dashboard only shows my daughter's classes.  It is the same if I am on my computer or mobile device.  When I look under my son on my mobile device it says, "No Courses.  Your child's courses might not be published yet."  Yet, my son has all his classes when he logs into Canvas.

Should my son's classes be on the dashboard along with my daughter's classes?  What do I need to do to see classes for both my son and daughter?

I add a second student to my observation today.  Prior to adding the second student I could see the classes for the first student on the dashboard.  After adding the second student I only see their classes.  How do I view the classes for both students?  Can you toggle between the two?  I am accessing the Canvas parent page via a Chrome browser.  Thank you.

When I am on my laptop logged in it shows my 2 students I am observing (my daughter and nephew) and the current published classes for both students. Now when I go to use my parent app it only shows 1 student (my nephew) and 0 published classes. When my daughters Father set up his account he used a pairing code our daughter gave him from her account he can see her current published classes online and that he is an observer but when he set up his parent app via QR code it doesn't show any students or classes? can you help with this?

@Hazel_D @Hazel_D @PD3 ,

It looks like all your comments are related in the fact that you cannot view all the courses for the students you are observing. Please use the Report a Problem option from the app or your browser so someone can look into this further.

Cody 

How do you remove a student that you have been observing from your list? 

Hi @cheney,

Observers are unable to remove an observed account on their own. However, your school's or district's Canvas Administrator should be able to separate the accounts for you. You can click the Help link in Canvas or contact your school to see if they can take care of that for you.

Cody

Thanks @Cody, I am the Administrator. Can you point me to a doc that outlines the process? 

Hi @cheney,

You could use the Canvas API to remove an observee.

Another option that might work better for multiple removals is the user_observers.csv SIS import.

Cody

These comments are posted to the global Canvas Community,

NOT your Canvas course.

• Have a question about using Canvas? Visit the Q&A page.
  • Have an idea to improve Canvas? Visit the Idea Conversations space.
  • Need to reply to a course discussion? Log in to your Canvas course and add your comment there (Tip: Visit your school's website to log in to Canvas).
Version history
Revision #:
6 of 6
Last update:
Wednesday
Updated by: