Upload an image directly to a discussion as a student

Idea created by seth Employee on Mar 31, 2015
    Radar
    Score296
    Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...

Idea will be open for vote May 5th, 2015 - August 5th, 2015  Learn more about voting...

As a student, I want to be able to upload an image directly to a discussion. I can only do this today using a cludgy, two-step workaround: (1) upload the image to my personal files, then (2) use the content-picker in the discussion-response window to select the image from my files. Instructors can upload images directly to discussions. Students can upload images directly to other parts of Canvas. Seems odd that this use case requires a workaround.

transferred from the old Community
    Originally posted by: Sunny Washington
    Thank you especially for contributions by: T Beasley, Stefanie Sanders

Comments from Instructure

This feature idea has been reviewed by product and has moved into the Under Consideration stage. An idea may stay in the Under Consideration stage for 6-18 months before receiving an update and moving to another stage.  Make sure to follow this idea to receive updates as they are available.

October 2015 update from Peyton Craighill Admin

...We recognize this as the highest priority Discussions request from our community and it's most definitely under consideration. I only meant to say that last time it was looked at, it wasn't as simple as we would have hoped (i.e., not as simple as, say, let's copy and paste the code to enable it for students).

Still, rather than taking a few minutes to make it happen, it might take a few days to make it happen, including QA time, so it's not a massive project to implement.

August 5 updated

Pardon the delay on this, we misunderstood the request in our initial workshop and will circle back during the next one to clarify. (We assumed "upload image directly to discussion" meant attaching an image directly to a discussion (which is already possible for students to do, provided the less-than-obvious course setting is enabled) rather than embedding an image in a discussion.)

Kenny, thanks for highlighting the history of this request. That's crazy. I've had a few discussions about this with more veteran Instructurans (Instructurites? Canvassers?), and it sounds like there's a little more complexity to it than we were expecting when we looked into it previously. At this point, I don't have much more detail than that, but we will be addressing this again at our upcoming workshop.

And just in case some folks are unaware of the course setting I mentioned above, this may help improve the situation:

Screen Shot 2015-07-28 at 8.50.36 AM.png