Syllabus Edit/View Access in Teacher App

The Teacher App does not allow you to access the syllabus for your courses. Since many of us have moved to tablets or our mobile devices for planning, it would be nice to have access to edit/view our course syllabus in the mobile application.

I called mobile support today to confirm that this was not a feature already offered that I just couldn't find. The gentleman I spoke with was incredibly helpful and let me know that this feature was not available in the Teacher version of the app. He offered me a work-around (pasting my syllabus into the home page section), but that causes there to be two copies of the syllabus that aren't linked - so any changes made to one would have to be made to the other manually. It's a quick fix for now, but not an ideal as a long-term solution. 

Hope this idea is helpful!

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas Mobile

For more information, please read through the Canvas Teacher Release Notes (iOS 1.12)

24 Comments
RobDitto
Community Champion

Voted! I'm sharing this with the Canvas Mobile Users Group‌.

cw2481
Community Participant

Direct quote from one of our faculty members.

It seems ridiculous to exclude the syllabus from the teacher version from the iPad app. Makes it practically USELESS.

christopher_bee
Community Novice

Agreed with the sentiment above. Not being able to access the syllabus on the mobile app is far more basic than many of the other options given. 

kadunkelberg
Community Novice

I use the Syllabus as the course home page and frequently update it, so having it accessible in the Teacher app would be a big help. I can access it and other features by using my web browser to go to Canvas on my iPad, but it would be better if it could be integrated in the app.

smaltzie
Community Novice

I agree as well. I think it would be very helpful to have a view at least if not an edit mode in the Canvas Teacher App.

andrea_stoke
Community Novice

I fully support this motion as I make sure my syllabus on CANVAS is up to date with any of the latest changes. Additionally, my syllabus has all the required information the students need to know for the course, specifically the rubrics for any writings as well as the breakdown of their weighted assignments. I want to keep it current with the information that the rest of the course page has. Being able to access/edit and/or update as needed via mobile would be helpful. Otherwise, teachers are limited to desktop versions only.

cripep
Community Novice

Voted,  Every comment is spot on!

dbeaty
Community Novice

Yes, please! This would make the mobile app for teachers so much more useful. 

strong_john
Community Novice

Please add this feature to the  ipad app - it would be much appreciated!!

nelson_hannah
Community Explorer

YES! I was so excited to see a new Teacher version of the app, but since the syllabus is the backbone of every class and what I access most every day, I can't use the app until this essential feature is added. Since viewing the syllabus is already a feature in the Student app, I hope it's coming soon. I will continue accessing Canvas from a browser on phones/tablets instead, and using the Student app to preview how my student's see course content.