Allow students to view assignment instructions after assignment is closed

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas  Learn more about voting...
  Idea will be open for vote May 5th - August 5th, 2015  Learn more about voting...

When students are viewing the grade and feedback for their assignment, it would be helpful if they could also view the assignment instructions. Currently, if the assignment is closed, the instructions are not visible to students. This topic had at least 85 votes in the legacy community.

Response from Instructure

July 14

The Canvas Production Release Notes (2015-07-18) are out and we are excited to mark this idea as Done!

16 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

I completely agree. I find that as I'm grading I frequently have to copy and paste key portions of the assignment instructions into my annotations on students' papers, because I'm giving them feedback that they haven't followed the instructions--but they have no way to view the instructions to which I'm referring once the due date has passed. This would be a real time-saver and would enhance teacher-student communications surrounding an assignment.

Beth_Young
Community Contributor

What looks like this same feature request is also open for voting here: " modifiedtitle="true" title="Viewing Assignment Instructions after Due Date

I'm not sure what happens when two ideas compete with each other. Will their votes be added to  make a total score? Perhaps it is safest to vote for both requests.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for the link! You're right; to err on the side of the caution, I went ahead and voted the other one up too. Smiley Happy

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good question!  @scottdennis ​,  @Renee_Carney ​, or Deactivated user​ - is there any way to get these combined and unique votes added together?

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Yes.  I'll get the other one archived right away - as it has fewer votes.  I'll place a link there to direct people here to add their votes.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Thank you  @Beth_Young ​ for sounding the alert on this duplicate (as well as the other duplicate you direct messaged me about earlier today).  Because you reported these two duplicate submissions, I awarded you to the "Kommunity Kudos" award x2.  Smiley Happy

ewakeman
Community Novice

If I understand this correctly, wouldn't it work just as well to have an option NOT to accept late assignments?

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@ewakeman ​, I'm pretty sure what started this is that the instructor already didn't take late assignments, which is why the assignment was closed, but thought that the assignment prompts (in the assignment directions) may be useful to all students (even those who had submitted assignments) to go back and review before the final paper.

Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@leward 

Thanks for the post on this idea.

I just realized this problem existed.  Last semester i had a separate page for the assignment information and an assignment page for the submission of the solution.  This summer I started the same way and then realized I could combine the two parts into just the assignment page.  As luck would have it I was better off not being concise and better about course setup.

I will just have to go back to my old way.

It would be nice to have a visibility end date and a submission end date - but that is adding more fields for setting up the assignments which can lead to more confusion.

Ron

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Canvas Beta Release Notes (2015-07-06) are out and we are excited to mark this as Done!