Ability to change a users role without deleting the user

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea will be open for vote June 3rd, 2015 - September 2nd, 2015  Learn more about voting...

Currently, to change a users role on a course, the user has to be deleted and added back in.  This results in additional, unnecessary invitations to the course.  It would be great if we could simply change or add roles to the user without deleting.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through theCanvas Production Release Notes (2016-01-09)

People

Edit Enrollment Type

57 Comments
sriddle
Community Novice

Yes, please....

kona
Community Champion

This is absolutely something we would love to have! So very very inefficient to have to delete someone from a course just to change their role in the course.

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Maybe this would be even more efficient if Admins were able to do this at the Account level?  For example, search for a student/instructor name, go to the user's profile, and then see a listing of the courses the user is registered for (this part currently exists).  The addition would be to have some kind of drop-down list next to each course for the user so that we could easily change roles for multiple courses all at one time.

EDIT: Here is what our Admin pages of Pearson eCollege's LearningStudio looks like that allows us to do what I describe.

ChangeUserStatus.jpg

kona
Community Champion

That would probably work... Yet, it doesn't fit into how Canvas does things right now so I'm not sure which would be easier to implement. Honestly I don't care which way we needed to do it as long as we had the ability! 🙂

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hello  @egronikowski ,

Thank you for taking the time to submit to the feature ideas forum.

I just now updated your idea submission to the queue that will open for vote on June 3rd.

Cheers,

Scott

tmcgee
Community Novice

Great idea. I will vote early and often for this change.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Once is plenty, Deactivated user​!   Smiley Happy

SPARROWR
Community Novice

Great idea! I'm excited for voting to begin next month for this!

r_v_jones
Community Contributor

Problem with this is it puts more work on Admins, whilst I think it could work I would rather have it at a course level feature

r_v_jones
Community Contributor

This would be a good idea and should be at a course level I think