Pages, Wiki Pages, Content Pages -- Need Consistent Naming in Canvas

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea will be open for vote Wed. June 3, 2015 - Wed. September 2, 2015  Learn more about voting...

Faculty get so confused because Pages=Wiki Pages=Content Page depending on what you are looking at in Canvas.  Can't everything just be names PAGES so everyone knows they are the same thing and keep it simple?

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the following notes:

17 Comments
scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hello macaulayl

Thank you for taking the time to submit to the feature ideas forum.

I just now updated your idea submission to the queue that will open for vote on June 3rd.

Cheers,

Scott

hvaughn
Community Contributor

Terminology consistency would be awesome!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

77296_pastedImage_0.png95784_pastedImage_0.png

Panda-Cat: A mythical creature that we dreamed up to catch your attention, make you laugh, and encourage you to keep reading the explanation of our archive process for Feature Ideas

Archive: An archived Feature Idea is not dead forever, but it has been taken out of stage progression.  When Community members submit feature ideas they are reviewed by the Community Team and then put to a vote by the community at large.  If the idea does not receive 100 votes within 3 months it will be archived.  Ideas that reach the 100 vote threshold within the first three months remain open for voting. Find more information about this process at How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Yes.  Some feature ideas that do not receive 100 votes are resubmitted by Community members and find more supporters as people's needs change, rising more quickly to the top.  Oftentimes archived feature ideas are evaluated in groups when we are preparing to refactor a particular tool or feature of Canvas and may still influence product direction.

davidnas
Community Novice

I just came across this one and I see that voting has been closed.  I'll be honest... I think it's a bit ridiculous that this feature request even needs to be voted on in order for it to be addressed.  Consistent terminology is one of the most basic elements of good design and plays heavily into the overall UX.  It should be addressed and corrected whether it gets 100 votes or not, imo.

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@davidnas  et al,

I just wanted to let you all that this is going up for voting again in a new feature idea cohort on February 3rd. Please mark it on your cal and come back to vote this up!

" style="color: #2989c5;

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-08-27)

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

ROI.png

Thank you to macaulayl for submitting this idea, as well as,  @hvaughn ​ &  @davidnas  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of the Canvas! Smiley Happy

michael_mccormi
Community Novice

But it has not been developed and deployed. When building a module, inserting a page is referred to as inserting a "content page" and when linking to a page, the editor refers to pages are referred to as "wiki pages".

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi  @michael_mccormi 

I had not thought about it after the release Renee mentioned, but I checked just now, and you are correct. I still see all three references.

KLM

davidnas
Community Novice

Yep, I pretty much gave up on this once I saw that they claimed to have addressed it even though they didn't.  Just like they didn't directly address our concerns when it was first pointed out (in the comments of the other associated feature request), instead choosing to stick with the same boilerplate about voting up feature ideas (thereby treating this like a feature request, even though it clearly is not).  It's become clear to me that this was just poor design from the beginning, and that poor design is so deeply ingrained within the system now, that it will take too much work for them to change it to how it should have been from the beginning.  They just don't want to say that.  Clearly it's a lost cause to get them to fix it the way it should be or provide an explanation as to why it would be designed that way in the first place.

@Renee_Carney ​ Deactivated user​