Ability to manage observer links on accounts created through SIS or through the UI

Idea created by Brian Westnedge on Jun 10, 2015
    Completed
    Score11
      This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea will be open for vote Wed. July 1, 2015 - Wed. October 7, 2015  Learn more about voting...

Currently Canvas allows Parents to create accounts that can be linked to students as observers. The link persists throughout Canvas when the student account is altered (added as a new enrollment, or if they drop a class).

I would like the ability to manage this kind of link at the user account level, rather than at a course level, for all types of accounts, regardless of where/how the account was created (either through SIS, or through the UI, or through the "Parent of a Canvas User" link). I would also like the ability to Un-Link observers for our Admins, so that we could un-link a parents account should there be a reason to. For example, in our situation, we have a High School as well as a college. We would like to have observers linked to our High School students, but remove the link for students moving into our College. I could also see this being helpful if the status of a parent changes through the student's time at our school - such as a change in custody - which might make it necessary to restrict an observers access to information where they previously had access.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-06-25)