Modules within Modules

Idea created by Kristi Levy on Jan 29, 2016
    Radar
    Score314
      Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...

Idea open for vote Wed. February 3, 2016 - Wed. May 4, 2016  Learn more about voting...

As we move toward Personalized Learning we are beginning to feel boxed in by the linear design of Course Modules.  Many teachers would like the Course Modules to look more like the Course listing in the new UI (Tiles rather than lists) AND have the functionality to have Modules within Modules.  This would allow for MANY more options for student Voice, Choice and Pacing options!

Comments from Instructure

April 2016 update from Allison Weiss

I'm so glad that the community has hit on Modules as a really important area in Canvas that could use some rethinking, reimagining, and redesigning. I think when we come back around to this feature, we should dig deep into questions like:

for teachers,

how should the authoring experience differ from the student view of modules?

how should the authoring workflow support managing resources from large cartridges or folders of content or Commons content?
           how might the authoring workflow make duplication of objects in Canvas easier?

how might the authoring experience incorporate the functionality of Conditional Release that we are working on now?

and for students,     
          what does a mobile-friendly content experience look like?
          how can we improve continuity of learning between visits to modules?

what can we do to help students quickly see which areas of content need visiting or revisiting?

This will be a terrific project when the time comes. This isn't something we will be focused on during the next six months (I will archive), but voters on this thread are more than welcome to share your ideas in the meantime.