[Modules] Unlocking Modules for individual students

Hi all,

This idea has already been requested, but did not get enough votes. Manually Override Module Requirements for Students

Any chance this can go through the voting cycle again! Would be brilliant to have this idea incorporated within Canvas. In our k-12 institution we like to encourage independent learning, so we let students move through modules at their own pace. Different students have different capabilities and some may be quicker to complete module requirements, which is why we would like to open progressive modules for individual students whilst keeping the module locked for the remaining students. Whereas now, if were to open the modules those students who have not yet completed modules feel pressured and try to rush through the modules.

Added to Theme

Enable Differentiated Learning at Scale Theme Status: In Development

89 Comments
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi  @h_mukaddam ​

I see that you have resurrected this archive idea submission. I saw yours and  @scottdennis ​ and stefaniesanders​ discussion on the original submission. So I suspect someone will come along and approve this for voting during the next period. I also saw that Scott provided you with a link to how the voting process works, so I won't repeat that here.

Good luck!

KLM

snugent
Community Champion

I am wondering if this will be part of the Canvas Studio: Conditional Release that is in development. That would be awesome if it is!

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Susan:

I was just reading that note, and could not tell if it included conditional access to Modules. From my perspective, that would be ideal because aI could create modules with content specific to a learner pathway. It would be a much more effective way to design courses for me.

KLM

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. June 1, 2016 - Wed. September 7, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

ahardesty
Community Participant

This would be great for higher ed as well. We run into this issue on some courses when there is just one student that needs to work ahead (for a good reason, such as military service). I really like how Canvas works on the assignment level with allowing special permissions to certain students. It would be great to see this implemented with the course content that is in Modules as well.

thomas-rietz
Community Novice

I'd like to add that restricting/opening modules by group would also be extremely helpful.

connors5
Community Novice

This would be good if the student has a choice to move forward or not.

cward
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This is an interesting thought, and I can see the usefulness of being able to do this. We'll take it into account in any future rework of modules that we'll do. Thanks!

mdurler
Community Member

What I would really like to see is a way to lock and unlock individual pages and/or files based on some criteria such as a score on an assignment.

kona
Community Champion

@mdurler ‌, have you looked at Mastery Paths in Canvas - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10442-4152668299 It seems like it would accomplish what you are wanting.