cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

InstructureCon: What do you want me to highlight?

Hello Folks!

I will be presenting at InstructureCon this year on accessibility. 

Mission: InstructureCon 0017  

Since it will be recorded and hosted on YouTube, are there any items you would like to be covered to share with your institutions? 

I'd love to hear what you want to see/hear/feel! 🙂 

My slides are due on Friday so I hope to hear from you soon.

Cheers!

Tera 

@NerdTera 

11 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer III

I was just talking about this not even five minutes ago with a colleague. While I saw tables on your agenda, can you provide some insight into accessible, and responsive, table code?

If you are unable to do so in the session, it would be great to connect off-con Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Thank you, cgaudreau‌! I'm adding it to my list! 😉 

Highlighted
Community Member

Hi teraulbert@gmail.com‌!

It would be great to hear any "What's coming up" news from Canvas/Instructure about their plans for accessibility. It might be out there somewhere, but it might be nice to hear about. And I appreciate the part about accessible Canvas tools/resources. Sometime knowing/selecting what tools are accessible is a challenge. I look forward to this recording!

Best!

Stephanie 

Highlighted
Community Member

Hmm, this is a great question. (Thank you for asking!)

One thing that might be helpful is an overview of the tools students may be using to access their sites, and how designers can use these to check our courses. Accessibility became much easier for me to understand after a class where we did this: understanding how screen readers function, the experience of tabbing around a website, or what a webpage looks like to a user who's colorblind, kind of blew my mind. Sharing the accessibility tools that are available right on our laptops, and examples of how simple fixes to some accessibility problems can be, might be a good way of getting everyone to experiment with the approaches and fixes you speak to in the rest of your presentation. I'm excited to see this (though sadly not in person)!

Highlighted
Community Member

Great topic! 

1) What are the best ways to grade student essays? I think I read new annotation tools are coming. Will they be accessible to those who use screenreaders? 

2) What are some tips for instructors with disabilities using Canvas? 

soicherr@oregonstate.edu#osugenpsych

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Thank you for asking, tera@onefortraining.org

Verifying that third-party tools and websites used by instructors are also accessible!

I would also like to take this time to let you know that Dana Danger (God I love that name), the Accessibility Lead at Instructure has asked whether accessibility-minded folks are interested in meeting up at InstCon to chat about Canvas accessibility. She will not actually be there, but she will arrange something if enough are interested, and likely already has. I am not sure if she plays in the Community (I just ried to ping her), but you can likely contact her a ddanger@instructure.com

I hope this helps,

Agent K

Highlighted
Lamplighter II

I find that most instructors create content in Word and PowerPoint so they really need to make sure these documents are accessible. Feel free to use the tips in my Five Tips for Creating Accessible Word Documents post. I won't be at InstructureCon this year but I will look forward to your presentation. 

Highlighted

Can I Skype in?!? Smiley Happy This sounds like a great meet up! Wish I could be there.

Highlighted

Totally agree! The content added into Canvas holds great importance.