Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abunag
Community Champion

Collecting Syllabi

I've been asked if it's possible to collect all syllabi from all Canvas courses, and if not currently possible, to look into options to make it possible in the future.  Anyone tried implementing something like this?

Tags (2)
33 Replies
tdelillo
Community Champion

I haven't tried to do this (we have a separate eSyllabus tool called Concourse that solves this problem) but there was another discussion started last week that might be related - Export syllabi? Also, a feature request for a mass export option has been created -

dgrobani
Community Member

I wrote a Python script a few years ago to find and download syllabi. I'd be happy to share it with you.

abunag
Community Champion

that would be nice to try.  You can either message me it, attach it here, or email me at abunag@pacific.edu.

Thank you very much!

abunag
Community Champion

I saw that thread and idea post too.  It seems there's lots of third-party solutions where they build the syllabus then add to Canvas, but we've tried that with very little adoption, so they're asking for the other way around now in the hopes of a higher collection rate.

Thanks for the links, and the tool suggestion.  It'll be on my report back to the requester.

dgrobani
Community Member

I've emailed you it. You're welcome!

abunag
Community Champion

Got it - Thanks again!

jenn_stevens
Community Contributor

I too would love to see the python script! Does it use the API to only get the html from the syllabus page, or does it also get assignment information? I've been struggling with this problem as well, as Tracey noted above. (Thanks  @tdelillo ​!)

reynolds1

When we started migrating over to Canvas from eCollege we decided to make it as simple as possible to keep syllabi updated so we created a Google Drive folder and put all syllabi in that folder.  Then in each course we linked to that course's syllabus in the folder (shareable link where everyone could view).  Now we only have one place to update and that is to manage the versions in Google Drive folder and in seconds the syllabus is updated.  Sure has simplified our life for sure.  When faculty need to update they download the course file, update, send it to our office and then we update the Google Driver file.

jennifer_stevens

All the script does is use the API to crawl through courses, look in the syllabus body for hyperlinked files, and download any files it finds. I'd be happy to send it to you, but if there's a way to contact you directly from here, I haven't found it yet.