cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
khimmerick
Community Participant

Have you used Starfish with Canvas?

I'm interested in using Starfish/Hobson's early alert with Canvas. So I'm looking for any feedback from existing users? It has a good review in the Instructure EduApp, so I'm thinking someone had a good experience with it. Any feedback or suggestions would be great! Thank you! Kristen

44 Replies
lames
Community Participant

We have integrated Starfish at UMW and it works very well WITH THE EXCEPTION of cross-listed courses. We are not able to pull student data from any secondary section, only the original. In other words, if you have three sections cross-listed into one course, you will only be able to gain student data from the 01 section, not the 02, 03.... . This is the same for cross-listing courses with different names. I have reported this to the engineers and worked with them several times on this issue but it remains unresolved. They have confirmed Starfish does not currently have that capability but will consider it for future development. All other aspects of the program have gone well and we continue to use it despite the significant amount of missing data.

eric_amtsberg
Community Participant

Lisa

I'm just curious, for which user groups do you use Starfish?  Who gets notifications?  I'm most curious about the advisor piece of it.

Go Mary Wash!

khimmerick
Community Participant

Thank you, I did get a demo of Dropout Detective and it was great. I'm trying to solve one problem, which is to let the Home School Advisers of our students (who are from 40 different universities in mixed cohorts) follow their progress only.  It is a similar requirement to what you might have at your school, with advisers only seeing the status of their advisees. Anyway, it's a work in progress at this point to determine the best path.

Thanks for all of your feedback and ideas on DD and SF!

Thanks Eric! I know the feeling of people not wanting to give up their spreadsheets.

khimmerick
Community Participant

I am surprised about the cross listing not working. We don't cross list, though, so it won't be an issue for it. Thank you for posting!

powellj
Community Participant

HELP! Desperately looking to talk to other admins who use Starfish integration with Canvas. This is our first semester running Canvas exclusively (just completed a year long migration from Blackboard) and I've hit a snag.

I'm having an issue getting the courses listed in Starfish to pull data from Canvas. Starfish support has been less than stellar, as usual. Would very much be interested in how other schools handle this process.

Thanks!

bgibson
Community Champion

Sorry, I do not have an answer to your question, but I just had an instructor ask if there was some way to feed the Canvas Attendance Module data into Starfish.  He said the Attendance Module was very easy to use.  *I told him I would ask both in the Canvas Community and pass along up via Starfish.  **I'm pretty sure that with the Canvas API there would be a way, but I'm not the programmer to do it;-)

powellj
Community Participant

Hi Bill,

There are reports that you can run for Roll Call which output into CSV, if I'm not mistaken, however when we looked into it, we were looking into a more automated solution, as the reports must be run manually via the GUI. I can't say with 100% certainty (I would double check with your CSM), but I believe that the data for the Roll Call tool in Canvas is not accessible otherwise. We are looking for an attendance replacement to get away from Starfish and wanted to look into using Roll Call in Canvas since it works much, much better. We inquired about having access to that attendance data through Canvas Data, but were told that the attendance data is not available in Canvas Data because Roll Call is actually a third-party application (such as Speedgrader). They were hopeful that they could work something out in the future, but that could take a long time. Again, best to check with your CSM to make sure nothing has changed since we discussed it last year.

Jacci

gasellc
Community Participant

Hello,

I'd like to bump this conversation up. Are there groups using Starfish with Canvas that are willing to share their experiences? We are starting an implementation for fall 2016. Thank you!

Chris_Munzo
Community Champion

@powellj ​ -- I've just written a blog post that introduces automation into Roll Call reporting.  I would appreciate your feedback.  Thanks!

Easier Access to Data from Roll Call