cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kate_hill
Community Contributor

Prevent Users from Changing Account Settings

Jump to solution

I am wondering if anyone has tried to prevent students/users from changing their default email addresses in Canvas.

We require students to use their institutional email account for ALL communication within our university (for several reasons, which I know you all understand). However, I cannot seem to figure out how to prevent users from changing these settings. My main issue is keeping students from changing their default email address. Does anyone have a workaround for that, or am I missing a setting?

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
amcdona
Community Participant

At the University of Florida we added the following to our CSS to hide the buttons for users to add communication channels (not perfect but covers most users).

.add_email_link {

display: none;

}

.add_contact_link {

}

View solution in original post

16 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@kate_hill , I think there was a recent discussion about this, but I can't find it. What I did find was - Student email - which discusses that you can prevent students from removing their institutional email, but that you can't stop them from changing the default email. Not sure if there's some type of back-end programming that could be done to prevent this.

amcdona
Community Participant

At the University of Florida we added the following to our CSS to hide the buttons for users to add communication channels (not perfect but covers most users).

.add_email_link {

}

.add_contact_link {

}

View solution in original post

kate_hill
Community Contributor

That is AWESOME!!!!

For those of us (me, mainly), that are not skilled with the coding, can you tell me where and how to add that to my Canvas account? I'm pretty tech savvy, and can figure most of that out, but am not sure where to start on this one.

Hi  @kate_hill ​, if you have any interest in seeing what other JS/CSS options are out there, let me know and I'll share the custom ones from my institution with you. It's a great way to lock down button access/etc. to anyone that isn't an admin.

Shane

bwaters
Community Participant

Canvas definitely needs to provide Administrators the option to lock down the default email address for students (and in some cases, perhaps instructors, etc.). I can't imagine why this oversight was not included in the program from the outset.

rake_9
Community Champion

To be clear, there is an admin setting that prevents students from deleting /changing their institution-assigned address (under the Settings tab, toward the bottom).  The issue is preventing users from adding an additional address and switching that to be the default.

ann_strickland
Community Participant

This is also an issue for my College. We actually had a student add all of their instructor's email addresses to "ways to contact" and I had to go remove them from that student's account. I am also not a coder but will be looking at the custom CSS options that you guys have shared. Thanks for sharing!

ann_strickland
Community Participant

Hi Andrew, once you add the CSS to hide the buttons will all of the settings that the users currently have in place remain as they are? So, if they do not have their college issued email as the default will it stay with whatever they have changed to the default?