Use Cases for Managing Independent Study

anonz3000
Community Contributor

At my school, many students have individualized start dates and assignment due dates. Sometimes students take leaves of absence which require me to adjust due dates for those particular students. Although Canvas seems great at managing groups of students, it is not yet world-class with regard to managing students engaged in independent study. I'd like to change that. My plan involves two initiatives. First, I'd like to collect from the community use cases related to managing independent study students, so I invite you to share your use cases below. Thank you for sharing! Second, I am writing an open-source web application called Easel that supplements Canvas with features related to independent study. I am hoping that Instructure engineers see features in Easel that they can incorporate directly into Canvas.

Below are four short videos showcasing Easel features that I have implemented for use at my school. Currently, Easel is only a prototype. It is not ready for prime time. It should not be pointed at a production instance. It changes constantly. I intend to write installation directions and draw an architectural map when I have time.

This video shows how to generate a set of assignment due dates:

This video is currently being processed. Please try again in a few minutes.
(view in My Videos)

This video shows how to modify a set of assignment due dates:

(view in My Videos)

This video shows how to generate elapsed times for a course:

(view in My Videos)

This video shows how to use Easel Sets to create programs:

(view in My Videos)

Thank you for sharing your use cases related to independent study!

Matt Hagen