[Account Settings] Allow editing of grading scheme names and/or descriptor fields after it has been used for grading student submissions in a course

Idea is currently in development

Problem statement:

Currently, no part of a Canvas account level grading scheme can be edited after the scheme has been used in a course to grade student submissions. I understand not editing percentages/points as this would affect course grades, but in the Appleton Area School District, we have multiple grading schemes that are used in courses with different grading methods (traditional, standards-based, dual-credit with tech schools/colleges, etc.) and there have been times where it has been requested by district leadership that a scheme name be updated/changed or the descriptor (letter grade or standards-based grade) have something edited/added.

Proposed solution:

I propose there be an edit button for the name section of a grading scheme and an edit button for the descriptor (letter grade) so these fields can be updated despite the scheme having been used to grade student submissions in a course. I agree with not being able to edit the percentages/points in the scheme. At this point in time, I am unable to edit the name or descriptors and I am unsure how I can go about doing this in an simple, yet effective way. The solution right now seems to be that I would need to create an entirely new scheme that is exactly the same as the one I'd like to edit, just to change the name or update the descriptors (letter grade, etc.). This is not sustainable, efficient, or worthwhile and clutters up the grading scheme page with schemes that are old or outdated. This can also create confusion regarding which grading scheme is the correct or updated one to be used.

User role(s):

admin

1 Comment
RaviKoll
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: In Development