Add a "like" button, star ratings, or "mark as helpful" options to discussion posts

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
  Idea will be open for vote May 5th - August 5th, 2015 Learn more about voting...

As a user, I'd like to be able to give feedback on discussion posts other than posting a threaded reply. For instance, I'd like to "like" a post or rate it (using stars or a similar rating scale) or mark it as helpful. Any or all of these options would allow me to interact with other users' discussion posts quickly and efficiently and add another dimension of interactivity to discussion-type assignments and activities.

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Matt McGhie

Special thanks for contributions from: Lynne S. McNeill, Mark Ellis, Sylvia Newman

Comment by Instructure

You can enable liking on a discussion by editing your discussion and using the checkbox to 'allow liking'.  There are additional tools below the checkbox, but they do not need to be enabled for liking to occur!

90219_pastedImage_0.png90327_pastedImage_0.png

The thumbs up button will then appear next to the reply option:

90326_pastedImage_2.png90328_pastedImage_2.png

35 Comments
clong
Community Champion

Speaking of likes.... Everyone needs to watch what the team at UC Berkeley has developed as an LTI in Canvas.

Super clean and amazing! The Brainstorming Space, UC’s Next LTI Tool - YouTube

lshulman
Community Participant

I am sorry but merely being able to "like" is not sufficient. 

I'd like a five star rating system, such as Blackboard has. This allows me to actually "grade" the quality of each discussion post (1 star = D-, 5 stars = A+)

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Completed