Add observer-student relationship to Canvas Data

In Canvas Data's schema, the enrollment_dim file shows the type of an enrollment, but for ObserverEnrollment type roles where a link to another user is implied, there is no link to the student user. 

We use the observer role extensively, and need to group students by their observer for our reporting. 

This data is available through the REST API on the enrollments endpoint, but I don't particularly want to have to mix and match Canvas Data with REST API calls to do monthly/historic reporting. 

// The unique id of the associated user. Will be null unless type is  // ObserverEnrollment.  "associated_user_id": null,

This issue was raised by someone else in 2017 and apparently a ticket was created but I can't see anything in the community or release notes, and the data is still not available. 

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
6 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Completed

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

Thanks to @tom_likes_wine for letting us know that this idea has now been fulfilled!

Rodrigo_gh
Community Member

Hi @tom_likes_wine ,

Thank you for submitting this idea. It seems that the idea was implemented. Could you share the logic with me? I don't see a way to connect an observer with the students in Canvas Data.

eric_hybner
Community Explorer

@Stef_retired I cannot find where this is completed. Is it possible this issue is tagged incorrectly? There's no association I can find in the online documentation for Canvas Data, and I do not find anything in enrollment_fact, enrollment_dim, or user_dim. Am I missing something?

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed