Allow for compression of Course Menu and Right Sidebar

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
It seems as if the course menu and right sidebar take up too much space on the pages, in some cases even covering the content if the users screen size is small (tablets, notebooks, small screen laptops). It would be really great, if these menus could be compressed or hidden in some way so as to give the user greater flexibility in viewing the content. Or if the interface was designed to be more responsive.

How it currently looksIdea for how it could look
39066_canvasissue1.pngcanvasissue1.png39067_canvasidea1.pngcanvasidea1.png

Comments from Instructure

We were just reviewing a few older ideas in Cold Storage and discovered this one and realized it was completed!  Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-08-27) 

22 Comments
scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

77296_pastedImage_0.png84746_pastedImage_0.png

Panda-Cat: A mythical creature that we dreamed up to catch your attention, make you laugh, and encourage you to keep reading the explanation of our archive process for Feature Ideas

Archive: An archived Feature Idea is not dead forever, but it has been taken out of stage progression.  When Community members submit feature ideas they are reviewed by the Community Team and then put to a vote by the community at large.  If the idea does not receive 100 votes within 3 months it will be archived.  Ideas that reach the 100 vote threshold within the first three months remain open for voting. Find more information about this process at How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Yes.  Some feature ideas that do not receive 100 votes are resubmitted by Community members and find more supporters as people's needs change, rising more quickly to the top.  Oftentimes archived feature ideas are evaluated in groups when we are preparing to refactor a particular tool or feature of Canvas and may still influence product direction.

SHEBENE
Community Champion

100 votes? I thought the threshold was 30 votes.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Neal,

It was initially but we found that bar was too low.  We modified the rules on June 17th.  You can read more How does the voting process work for feature ideas?​  There was an announcement but in hind sight it probably wasn't the best week to try to get people's attention.  Smiley Happy

marthazumack
Community Contributor

Indeed, I've only just now stumbled across this fact! What is the best to stay abreast of changes and announcements that aren't emailed? Or was this one emailed and I somehow missed it?

canvas_admin
Community Champion

A whole host of people missed it, including myself.   I found out about it 2-3 weeks after the announcement had been made.

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Well, folks - as you know archived ideas can be re-submitted. And this idea has surfaced again here: . Attention: @Amanda_L_Albrig ​ and everyone who commented and/or voted on this idea - if you're still interested in this idea and want to support it, be sure to bookmark/follow and vote it up in the next voting period.

Good luck! Smiley Happy

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hello all!

This idea has resurfaced and will be open for vote from Wed. March 2, 2016 - Wed. June 1, 2016!  Smiley Wink  Please be sure to bookmark and return to offer your support!

" style="color: #2989c5;

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas 

We were just reviewing a few older ideas in Cold Storage and discovered this one and realized it was completed!  Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-08-27) 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme