[Dashboard] Customize the View in Dashboard

As a course design assistant, my dashboard gets entirely too overloaded and the need to scroll to find the course I need to access can go on for a while due to the size of the cards.

I would love to be able to organize my dashboard in a list view and be able to create multiple lists. For example, I help with courses for anthropology, comparative literature and psychology, so let me create groups for those types of courses in 3 columns so that I can see all of my courses in the dashboard quickly and select the one I want to access without the need to scroll.

If I could then also split those columns in half so that I could put anthropology and psychology in one column, comlit and english in the next column and then have room for two more categories it would make my life so much easier!

26 Comments
grace_nabhan
Community Member

Perhaps there could be a button which allows users to add categories to their dashboard to categorise courses instead of having an alphabetised list or moving courses around with no breaks in between. It will be easier to locate courses. 

JonathanNester
Community Novice

When you click on Courses in Canvas it should pull out a menu that has your courses separated by the semester they were taken. It would preferable have the current semester on the top and from there it descends back in time. It would make the site more intuitive and get rid of having to scroll down to get to the classes your currently taking. Color the semester tabs a different color then the classes so you can easily jump to which semester your looking for.

Example of how it would roughly look like

Courses>[Spring 2022             ]  

Eng 121

Mth 162

His 112

Chm 112

[Fall 2022                  ]

Chm 111

Aut 275

Aut 266 

[Spring 2021             ] 

None Registered

[Fall 2021                  ]

Eng 111 

Aut 115

Mth 161

Sdv 100 

cnostrand
Community Member

I was looking for a way to easily submit a feature request 😂
Many folks would appreciate a way to organize courses (especially past courses) in a way that declutters as well as creates a way to quickly access a content area, term, year...  
Folders would be great!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

KimberlySouza
Instructure
Instructure

By Jacob:  It would be very helpful to be able to organize my active courses on my dashboard into various folders or sections. That way, when I go to my dashboard, instead of seeing dozens of courses scattered around, I can see some sections with my organized courses.