Edit Order of Help Menu links

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

It would be great to have the ability to change the order of the links in the Help Menu.  I would like for my students to know that I should be their "first stop" for technical trouble shooting, or to be able to alphabetize the list.

194270_pastedImage_0.png194270_pastedImage_0.png

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-08-27)

13 Comments
scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hello Kristina Estrada,

As far as I can tell, the community hasn't ever voted specifically on the idea of being able to change the order of help links.  I'll recommend your submission for voting in the next cohort.

Thanks,

Scott

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi  @estradak ​

Hmmmm....  I am confused, as our help menu has a completely different view.

195377_pastedImage_0.png

Could this be due to which support level we are using? I don't know, but I prefer that our "Ask your Instructor" choice is at the top, since a large percentage of our support tickets are for course content issues.

I am hoping someone from Instructure is lurking and can answer this question.

KLM

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

I'm glad you said something,  @kmeeusen ​, because it made me look. Ours looks like this:

help-menu-options.png

As you can see, we also have "Ask Your Instructor a Question" at the top, and we have added our own custom links. I suspect this is one of those features that a CSM can help with, but I too would like to hear from a Canvas guru.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

I'm asking now...

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Thanks Scott!

Isn't it curious how you can use a product for four+ years, and still find perplexing new things?

KLM

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

So far I've learned that ICs do do this during implementation and am still working on whether it is something that admins can do for themselves.

In short; Kristina, please bring this up in your next call with your CSM.  It is apparently already possible in Canvas (yea!).

erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi, everyone,

The How do I get help with Canvas? lesson shows that there are five default links that display depending on your user role. The Instructor link only shows up if you are a student. Smiley Happy

In other news, we have some additional changes coming to the help menu soon that will help admins reorder the links much more easily, which may positively benefit courses. I'd be happy to post here when there is an update.

Thanks,

Erin

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2016-08-15)

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

magic.gif

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-08-27)