[Gradebook] Option to set default Grade to Full Credit or Zero depending on submission status

Problem statement:

I have had several professors ask me how they can set up a quiz or assignment and automatically have Canvas award the student FULL CREDIT for completing the assignment and a zero for not completing it. The current default grade functionality ignores submission status: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-set-a-default-grade-for-an-assignment-i...

Proposed solution:

Allow option for Default Grade to be based on Submission Status.

User role(s):

instructor

Added to Theme

Improve Gradebook settings options Theme Status: Identified

5 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

crey1
Community Explorer

I like this idea!

DimitriDF
Community Member

I am a teacher who uses Canvas. I agree that the mismatch between the status I choose when creating a quiz versus the realities when students complete the quiz is a frustrating issue. I shouldn't have to assign points to individual quiz items or add fudge points in order for Canvas to award completion credit.

Along similar lines, when I try to set the default grade to "Complete" (a green check mark) for all students who have taken a quiz, the status changes to "Complete," but the grade book view still shows the quizzes as needing to be graded.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme