[Gradebook Settings] Customize Status

This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta •  How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through theCanvas Release Notes (2023-10-21) 

It would be great for schools to have the ability to set their own custom statuses in addition to missing, late, and excused. These can be set at the admin-level for schools to set customize statuses and to turn existing statuses on and off for the school.

Added to Theme

Canvas Ideas Featured in 2023 Releases Theme Status: Delivered

Improve Gradebook settings options Theme Status: Identified

15 Comments
AlanCook
Community Explorer
Problem statement:

I see where you can use "Apply Status [missing, late, excused]" to mark submissions, but as I am working through and find one that needs additional scrutiny (high TurnItIn score, visible indicators that this may be an academic honesty violation, etc.).

Proposed solution:

As I am grading, a questionable submission will require additional time and interrupts my grading flow. I want to be able to move on to other student submissions, but want to easily find and return to this questionable submission later since it will require more time to process. I would like the ability to flag the submission as "under review" so that I can easily come back and find this submission later, especially since this will likely take more time to process/grade. Dreaming here, but I would also like any submission flagged as "under review" to be temporarily locked/blocked on the student side so they cannot update the submission. The ability to include private instructor notes to use for the followup/investigation/evidence that I may need to present later would also be desirable.

User role(s):

instructor

MarcoCosentino
Community Member
Problem statement:

I'm trying to define a workflow for our Resit re-submissions and, in the gradebook and speedgrader, I can't find a way for the markers to add their grade but also had it capped (since it's a resit) without having to use the Late status, that automatically caps the grade. Using Notes and Comments to make a note of the gross grade is not a suitable solution, since we are planning to have full integration between Canvas and our student record system.

Proposed solution:

If we could customise the grade statuses and create our own, we can then create more categories (for example, Resit, Mitigation, etc.) and then be able to set rules for them (like with the automatic penalty of grades for the Late status); this way, we can cater for the specific circumstances of our courses and assignment submissions, and have accurate grades for assignments and totals.

User role(s):

admin,instructor

skalkwarf
Community Member
Problem statement:

I would love to see the ability to add or change the "flags" (excused/missing/late, etc.) in the gradebook. As well as amend the "rule" associated with it (i.e. no credit, 50% credit, apply late credit, etc.) I am thinking of this specifically for sections where attendance is required to be eligible to earn a grade for an item. I have students who complete the assignment anyway (yay!) and I would like to at a quick glance see that the reason they got a zero for their submission is because they were not in attendance on the day necessary to be able to complete it for credit. Instead I have to add a comment of that nature and to see it open the grade and view the comment, versus seeing the color highlight letting me know it is because they did not attend the required class meeting.

Proposed solution:

Where the 'flags' are allow us to not only change the color of them but also change the name and give options for how grading should be handled; utilize the "missing" grade process, "late" grade process, give no credit, do not count grade in gradebook or no change to grade.

User role(s):

instructor

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
  Comments from Instructure

This feature is available in Beta. For more information, please read through the 

Canvas Release Notes (2023-10-21) 

How do I access the Canvas beta environment as an instructor?

SSutton
Community Member
Problem statement:

Teacher regrades an assignment, but has no way of SEEING that a grade is a regraded assignment when looking at the gradebook without going in and reading comments.

Proposed solution:

Allow teachers to add new status options in their gradebook (to be included with late, missing, excused). Teachers could include a status called "submitted corrections" or "updated grade" and the color would turn purple, so that a teacher could glance at their gradebook and know that a student has submitted corrections so many times in a year, etc.

User role(s):

admin,instructor