[Inbox] Add rich-content editor to Conversations

As a user, I would like to be able to use the rich-content editor to compose messages in the Conversations inbox. This would enable me to create Conversations that are on par, formatting- and content-wise, with Announcements. (Students seem to read Conversations messages more diligently than Announcements.)

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Mia Nolan

Special thanks for contributions by: Stefanie Sanders

232 Comments
Beth_Young
Community Contributor

I am the same way--I prefer to keep all my LMS mail separate from my regular mail. Not only is it easier to deal with in one place, it is easier to archive in one place.

peytoncraighill
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for the feedback, everybody! I'll have the team estimate the workload and reply with an update.

peytoncraighill
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Sorry for the delay, here’s an update:

I’ve talked to many people internally about rich content editor (RCE) in Conversations over the last month, and all signs point to this being an intended omission. Per  @scottdennis  earlier comment, Conversations was initially meant to be a relatively simple feature, and it has evolved over time into an awkward mix of chat and email. It’s chat- or SMS-like in its light messaging functionality, and email-like in its heavy interface and organization.

Having said that, RCE in Conversations won’t likely be implemented within the coming months for a few reasons:

First, we need to clarify the purpose of Conversations for ourselves and our clients. If it’s going to be an email equivalent, it needs to be beefed up in more ways than RCE to accommodate, and we need to plan engineering resources accordingly. As it stands, the closer we get to being email without being email, the more requests we receive to be email (e.g., messaging multiple courses at the same time, modifying subject lines, adding custom folders, and so on). If it’s going to be a quick messaging service, that purpose needs to be clarified in the interface and functionality (which may still include incorporating RCE).

Second, performance in Conversations is a major consideration of ours in making changes to that component. There are many rules in place to ensure that User A can only see and message User B if permissions allow it. It’s a framework we colloquially call “messageable users.” These rules are complex, and they take a toll on performance, particularly in large courses. This is the most pressing issue on our radar for Conversations at the moment.

Third, implementing RCE in Conversations requires more than a small amount of engineering effort. It’s estimated somewhere between medium and large in scope, which equates to multiple weeks of development effort.

I’ll be doing more research on Conversations in the coming months, so if you’re interested in having a chat about how you use it (e.g., who you message, what you say, when you prefer Announcements, when you prefer email, etc.), I’d be more than happy to set something up. I have attached this thread to the corresponding story in our backlog, and am archiving it now.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

If you set up a group/area in the Community to talk about conversations I'm in! I use it a lot as an instructor and as an admin and would be happy to share my experiences.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@peytoncraighill , I'd like to be a part of a Conversations group as well. The short version of my recommendation is--and has for some been--to allow simple HTML markup tools (<bold></bold>) in Conversations, or else something similar to what currently exists in Google Chat, Google Doc comments, and various messaging systems (--strikethrough-- for strikethrough. *bold* for bold, and _italic_ for italic, for example).

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

--and has for some *time been-- :smileyblush:

Beth_Young
Community Contributor

I use conversations a lot as an instructor and would like to be part of a group to talk about it. Also, what stefaniesanders​ said about simple markup.

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@kona ​, stefaniesanders​,  @Beth_Young ​ if you are not already a part of the group, you can join the focus group here: Canvas Focus Group: Conversations RCE

I'll also update  @peytoncraighill ​ post to include a link so others who are interested can join the conversation!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Deactivated user​, thanks; I'm in the Canvas Focus Group: Conversations RCE​ !

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Yep, I'm already in as well!