[Modules] Assignment/Module Accessibility

I would love for my students t be able to access modules, assignments, pages through just my homepage even though I have disabled the assignment, module, pages link in the course navigation.

I wanted to remove all of the links from the course navigation and just have HOME as the only option, but if I do this students are unable to access their assignments and modules through my homepage buttons.

This would be ideal for elementary students. I teach 1st grade and had to continually remind my parents/students not to work ahead in assignments because they would push a button to get to their module, but then hit assignments trying to complete everything and they always ended up doing things that weren't assigned yet. 

I know I can unpublish assignments, etc, but I feel like the other way is easier for my students that way they don't get lost trying to go back home. I even linked the homepage to their last assignment and they still kept clicking assignments instead. 

7 Comments
jcarpenter1
Panda Pros
Panda Pros

If you provide a link, on your home page, to these items, the students will be able to have access to it.  This link will give you the directions on how to do this.

carki79
Community Member
Author

Yes, I know how to link pages, modules, etc to a button. I have a homepage that has module buttons on it. They are supposed to click the button to get to the modules, but if I remove the links from the course navigation so students AND parents don't have as much to click then it completely takes away the access to assignments and modules. When you click on the module button it will take you directly back to the homepage. 

Screen Shot 2020-08-29 at 10.15.49 PM.png

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

jcarpenter1
Panda Pros
Panda Pros

@carki79 I never knew that until you told me, so I had to test.  You were right; it left me confused.  Why not leave AT LEAST the module on the course navigation menu.  If students and parents can access modules, then they can access everything in it.

adamboyce
Community Participant

Course modules serve multiple purposes, including:

• Student Course Navigation
  • Instructor Content Organization
  • Awarding Badges in Badgr

These purposes overlap and have individual needs like a venn diagram.

I suggest an option to Hide modules from student navigation, but allow access to view/complete learning objects within the hidden module (technically published, but hidden). This would allow instructors to organize content, but direct students to that content via course links within pages, while keeping the main course module navigation clean. This distinction of course content could facilitate meaningful optional learning experiences. Another use case is awarding Badgr badges without needing each badge/module viewable to students in Modules.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme