[Modules] Module access to specific groups, sections or students

Idea is currently in development

It would be great if I could give Modules unique gating rules specific to individual students or groups or sections within the course, similar to how I can create unique assignment due dates for different students and sections.
108 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@dharriman ​

Looking at the title of your idea, are you seeking 'module _access_ to specific...' or should it be 'module _prerequisites & requirements_ for specific....' ?

jbuchner
Community Contributor

I like this idea, but as a work around, can you create an assignment for a group or individual (maybe a survey?) that has to be completed before access to further content is granted.

So it would be

Module For Specific Group

Survey assigned to specific students: Required to advance

More Content

They only people that would see the content is then those who complete the survey, which is a a defined subset by you?

(I don't do much with modules, I don't know that this would work.)

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea is now open for vote. Smiley Happy

kgordon
Community Novice

Yes, this is a FANTASTIC idea! It would allow us to create different tracks or branches within the same course for different student groups.

This seems the logical next step after differentiated assignments. At the very least, Canvas should introduce differentiated Pages.

kgordon
Community Novice

Please vote for my similar suggestion:

Thank you!

rfeffer
Community Novice

AGREED... Independently - I had asked the same question...  so there is definitely a need for this feature...

ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

I am teaching a course right now and a student asked me for early access to the next module, which is scheduled to be released at the same time and day of the week as other modules. I don't want to unlock the module for everyone as I do not want to overwhelm the rest of the class, but I also want this student to be able to fit my course around her other commitments. It would be far better for her to work ahead than to catch up, as next week she will not have internet access. This idea would be a great way for me to help this student.

kleslie
Community Novice

I just suggested a feature that might meet this need, but I'm not sure

Module Settings - Allow students to complete just one of several PREREQUISITES

- https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/3672#comment-28379

In my mind, this would allow individualized student pathways with out teachers needing to necessarily create different groups.

dmuller
Community Novice

I voted for the module to be specific for an individual.  That way, no one can tamper with their work.

shauna_vorkink
Community Contributor

I frequently get questions from teachers asking if there is a way to use Modules to build different "tracks" of learning.  My work around in the past has entailed some kind of assessment quiz at the beginning of the material.  Based on the score each student earned, I would point them to the correct starting spot in the materials and go through and excuse them from any work they were able to bypass (due to their score).  One of the downsides to this approach is that you can't take advantage of the majority of requirement and prerequisite options!

I definitely think that the ability for Instructors to have another avenue to develop personalized learning paths for students is highly desirable! ~Shauna