[New Quizzes] Allow Quiz Regrade for Questions Linked to Banks

We heavily use the question bank folders to keep our questions organized.  We create them in the banks since it is the only way to keep them from going into an "unfiled" folder.

The regrade feature needs to be allowed for questions linked to banks.  If the question is wrong in one quiz, it is wrong everywhere so I fail to see what it matters if it is referenced multiple places.  Regrading is critical to fair grading and it makes no sense to either be stuck with a choice between a completely disorganized question database and losing the regrade option.

Added to Theme

70 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea will remain in the open voting forum as an idea related to https://community.canvaslms.com/community/ideas/quizzesnext?sr=search&searchId=16673e3e-c9e3-4aa5-bd...

*Being a related idea does not guarantee it is slated for development, instead it indicates that the idea is related to the overall scope and is being used to inform the process.

collinsl
Community Novice

Count this as an unofficial "vote up" since this topic is currently on hold.  I had to regrade a question that was incorrectly included in a linked question bank today, and finding and then adjusting all 48 instances of that question was a time-consuming process.  :smileyconfused:

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@collinsl , to ensure that your unofficial "vote up" is officially tallied, come back on March 1, 2017, when this idea will be re-opened for voting!

collinsl
Community Novice

Awesome!  Thanks, stefaniesanders.

shouser
Community Novice

Will we be given a reminder about this. I would love this regard option so

I don't want to miss the voting windows. Can I submit an absentee ballot

now?

collinsl
Community Novice

If you find yourself having to manually regrade quizzes because of an incorrect question pulled from a question bank, here's what I did to make the process a bit easier:

1. -Run a Student Analysis Report on your quiz
  2. -Use "CTRL-F" to find the column for that question
  3. -Use "Sort AZ" (with "Expand the selection") for that column to move all the rows of students who had that question to the top of your spreadsheet.
  4. -Delete all the rows of students who did not have that question.
  5. -Use "Sort AZ" (with "Expand the selection") for the student ID column to organize your students by SID.
  6. -In your Canvas gradebook, organize your students by student ID.

Now you can match up the two lists to adjust student scores. I added a fudge point to the gradebook score of each student rather than going into SpeedGrader to adjust each individual attempt.  It's not a perfect fix, but it helps make my mistake right for my students without costing me too much time.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@scott-hauser , you should receive a notification when it is opened for voting tomorrow! (Make sure you have your notifications set to wherever you are most likely to see them.)

valentinesking
Community Coach
Community Coach

I also use TestGen software to magically transform the publisher's bok file to QTI to upload into Canvas.  I believe TestGen is a free software 🙂

valentinesking
Community Coach
Community Coach

This "work around" is fine just for re-grade... but the issue to adding all the questions to a question group (instead of linking to a question bank) is that when i click on the + to add questions- it shows the questions (without answers so I can't tell if they are mc, tf etc). So I still have to import question banks into Canvas to be less than 51 items and have question banks that are separated by question type. That is a lot of extra work when you are talking about a mass migration. 😕

elaine_richards
Community Novice

If a chance is given to retake the quiz or test, then why not give the chance for a regrade from the bank.  I hope I explained this correctly.