[New Quizzes] Allow multiple attempts on a quiz, with diminishing points after the first attempt

I am an instructional designer supporting and instructor who is using team based learning. In his course he has students take a quiz individually, then the same quiz as a team. The second team based quiz allows multiple attempts but penalizes the students for each subsequent attempt. The purpose of this is to encourage students to discuss what the correct answer should be before submitting.

This is similar to what is described here: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Question-Forum/Is-it-possible-to-allow-multiple-attempts-on-a-qui...

Currently in the Canvas Quiz it is possible to keep the highest, or average of scores. It would be helpful to be able to implement this strategy.

Added to Theme

Expand options for quiz formats Theme Status: Identified

18 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

RobDitto
Community Champion

@rexj, please consider adding a star rating on this idea which would be need to be built in order for part of your idea here to be possible:

rexj
Community Participant

Thanks for pointing out the other idea, @RobDitto . Done. 👍

I see the dependency. Hopefully both will be implemented.

RobDitto
Community Champion

Thanks, @rexj! Much appreciated. I've added my 5-star rating here.

JaredVanHooser
Community Member

This is sorely needed and is long overdue as a feature in Canvas. A must for those using team-based learning, especially with the increase in distance/online teaching related to the COVID-19 pandemic. 

NicholeRupnow
Community Novice

Agree- this would increase the learning potential as students in teams would continue to discuss the other options and work together to find the correct answer (after seeing their first selection was not correct). It would allow us to use Canvas instead of finding a different technology for TBL classes. Please consider.

rexj
Community Participant

Thank you, @NicholeRupnow .

Can you share options for supporting TBL that you have used? Specifically ones that support multiple attempts with penalties?

Thank you!

JSChen
Community Member

Agree with comments above - the ability to administer quizzes that allow this feature would greatly enhance the ability to administer team-based learning via Canvas!

yang2193
Community Explorer

This functionality would facilitate use of team-based learning, to be more specific, team-based quiz via Canvas.  

eddie_bonetdiaz
Community Explorer

@SuSorensen the idea that the author links to appears Resolved. What I hear by the person "resolving" the issue is: "sorry, you're out of luck but a solution is something you already know and isn't what you're asking for! good luck though."

This particular idea is something provided by a company dedicated to books, standardized tests, etc. They are by no means competitors, since they don't provide an LMS that I know of. So, why not reach out. The new age can't progress without networking and this is an opportunity to do so. 

Is NewQuizzes open source? If not, can it be? If not, why not? I'm sure there are many capable individuals that would be willing to find a fix that Canvas could obviously "monitor" and would help us all reach those teaching/learning peaks technology is capable of taking us to.