[New Quizzes] Carry Forward Correct Answers on Quiz Multiple Attempts

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

When a teacher assigns multiple attempts for an assignment it would be nice if the system would automatically perform one of the following during the student's next attempt:

1. Populate the correct answers from the previous attempt. 

2. Show only the incorrect problems from the previous attempt.

Added to Theme

157 Comments
scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi John,

When you talk about assignments are you talking specifically about quizzes?

Thanks,

SD

john_williamson
Community Contributor

SD

In my classes I have three different types of “Quizzes” . Assignments,

Quizzes, and Exams. Assignments are activities that the students work on

in class and these are the type of activities that I would like to be able

to have them complete multiple times.

John

Sent: Monday, February 08, 2016 1:36 PM

To: John Williamson <john.williamson@gactc.edu>

Subject: Re: - Multiple Attempts???

Canvas Community

<https://community.canvaslms.com/?et=watches.email.idea_comment>

Multiple Attempts???

new comment by Scott Dennis

<https://community.canvaslms.com/people/scottd%40instructure.com> View all

comments on this idea

<https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4709#comment-37903>

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi John,

Thank you for coming back and responding.  When you offer these assignments in class today are you using the Canvas Quiz content type?

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@john_williamson ​

I'm just checking in to see if you received Scott's follow-up question.  (see above)

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

sneakykitty.jpg

Where'd you go? We haven't heard from you in 2 weeks?

For now, this idea will be archived due to lack of response. If you would like this idea to be reconsidered, please provide the feedback requested along with some examples and use cases. Then be sure to @mention me or anyone on the communityteam (by typing '@' symbol plus a name to notify one of us) and we would be happy to bring it back into the feature process rotation!

john_williamson
Community Contributor

Scott,

Sorry for lack of a response.  Are you referring to the  quiz type when i am creating an assignment?

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi John,

Yes, I just want to make sure that what you are referring to by "assignment" is the quiz content item type.  In Canvas documentation the term "assignment" is sometimes used to mean any gradable content type in Canvas, including quizzes and sometimes the term is used to refer more specifically to a dropbox style assignment item where students drop off work to be graded and/or teachers use the assignment to grade activities that are turned in or occur outside of Canvas.  I'm pretty sure you mean a quiz but, like I said, just want to be sure.

john_williamson
Community Contributor

Another idea would be to add a check feature option  to allow the students to check their answers while working on the assignment.    Exam view LAN software had a similar feature that my students loved.  I was able  to through the software  specify the number of chances they could check their answers. 

@scottdennis ​

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. April 6, 2016 - Wed. July 6, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

emma_bagg
Community Novice

This would be a great feature for when quizzes are used as formative assessments rather than summative assessments. For example, I use quizzes as "note-book" checks, and students may get 5 out of 6 questions correct, but in the module requirements, they have to get a 6 out of 6 to complete the module. It is tedious for them to have to re-do every question.

I think the check answer feature is an unrelated feature.