New Quizzes: Create the option of "First Attempt" as the "Quiz Score to Keep" when Allowing Multiple Attempts

In other online test-building services we use in our program, First Attempt score is an option under Allow Multiple Attempts. This option works beautifully for our self-paced, competency-based training. Because all our courses are 80 percent competency based, the students must achieve 80 percent on testing before moving on. We want each student to have multiple attempts but be motivated to study and be prepared for that "first-time" attempt. Most of our students meet the 80 percent competency on the "first attempt" quiz, but some individuals need to be able to retake a quiz to prove the 80 percent competency. If the student retakes to prove competency, instructors still want to retain the First Attempt for grading.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2021-04-17)

32 Comments
dsmith31
Community Novice

Our school is in the process of switching to Canvas, and this is the only thing that I really miss about the previous LMS. This feature would be immensely useful to instructors who want to encourage student preparation and excellence on the first try. I would use it as my default and continue to allow multiple attempts for later review. With the current settings, I am unable to provide motivation for all students to do well the first time unless I do not allow multiple attempts.

jon_mason
Community Participant

Frankly ridiculous that this isn't an option, both for the 'old' Quizzes tool and Quizzes.Next. Grading the first attempt is such basic quiz functionality!

goconnell1
Community Explorer

I suspect that the originator of this idea either works in the same sector as I do or something very similar.  As I am involved in vocational education, my students MUST prove competency first and foremost.  However, as many articulate to courses in Higher Education, I also need to assign both a numerical grade and a Pass, Credit, Distinction, etc.

With the COVID-19 situation, much of our teaching (other than practicals and similar exercises) has migrated to online delivery and my colleagues and I are reliant upon the Canvas quiz generator both for weekly engagement exercises and theory assessments.  Whilst it's not critical with the former, it is absolutely essential that "first grade" is the one retained for the latter.  According to the rules governing all of our vocational education, students MUST achieve full marks to be deemed "Competent".  However, could you imagine the problems when every one of our graduating students turns up to enrol in Higher Education with "100%" recorded for every unit they ever attempted?

Like several of the respondents above, I have had extensive experience with other e-learning platforms (WebCT then Blackboard) and so was stunned to find the option was not one of those in Canvas.  Actually, my initial sentiments made Jon Mason's comment immediately above read mild by comparison!

epulham
Community Contributor

We are also interested in this functionality! Especially since New Quizzes is rolling out in Q4 this year, please, can we get this function in (4 years later!)?

ajdeeley
Community Participant

after four years for this and still no action?! your voting system is deeply flawed.

andrew_connery
Community Member

We need to have one more option in the “Quiz Score to Keep” dropdown menu. Currently, there is no option for a multi-attempt quiz to save/grade the first attempt for a graded quiz. This seems like an obvious and useful (and easy) option to provide. This would allow students to take a quiz multiple times but only the first attempt is graded- useful for practice.

James
Community Champion

This is a duplicate of New Quizzes: Create the option of "First Attempt" as the "Quiz Score to Keep" when Allowing Multiple...

The Community moderators will likely merge the two ideas.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: On Beta

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

The Multiple Attempts menu includes an option to retain the first score for grading when multiple submission attempts are allowed. This change allows instructors to allow students to retake a quiz but retain the first attempt score for grading. 

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2021-04-17).

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Completed