New Quizzes: Partial Credit for Matching Questions

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

In new quizzes, there needs to be the ability to award partial credit for matching questions. At the current moment, it is either all or nothing. I know you can "fudge" points at the end, but we need the ability to make each matching item worth points. 

337 Comments
robert_a_petrof
Community Explorer

So....in the past 16 months, 280 people have voted that partial credit should be offered.....and 40+ people have commented as well.....and nothing has changed?   What great customer service they provide!!!!

lph
Community Champion

I may be misunderstanding the request but in item banks, multiple choice style questions have the option for "vary points by answer." It's possible to put a negative as well as decimals (partial credit) for multiple choice answers. 

I have not tried the option but this seems to match the request. Maybe someone in the community uses this feature. 

snugent
Community Champion

This request is for the matching question type which automatically scores the entire question wrong if the student get any of the matches wrong. This was requested by nursing faculty but everyone else wants to provide partial credit. Currently, one must manually regrade each attempt to give partial credit. 

lph
Community Champion

Hi Susan,

Thank you. Has the "vary points by answer" been attempted to see if this helps?

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

Am slightly confused Susan. Are you saying that all or nothing marking system for this was created on the recommendation of one group? Do you have a link to this original idea request? I had always assumed that the matching quiz feature never had partial marking

robert_a_petrof
Community Explorer

Why wouldn't there be an option to give partial credit to accommodate our various needs? As a middle school history teacher......having to re-score 100 tests is an unnecessary waste of time.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me here at the school.

Sincerely,

Rob Petroff

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Middle School

An IB World School

Individuals and Societies 7 and 8

World Studies 7 US History 8

301-353-8080

snugent
Community Champion

Actually, now that I can thinking about it, it was the multiple answer question type that nursing faculty wanted to have the all or nothing option. I believe both question types do the all or nothing in new quizzes which is the exact opposite of what they do in classic quizzes. I agree faculty should get to decide this option and nobody should have to manually regrade attempts because the system didn't do want they wanted it to do. 

arnold_cassie
Community Participant

In this case, it should be a toggle option that is set up when you build the test. I can't have my teachers use new quizzes at all because of the all or nothing. I wanted to move us over this summer but I just cannot do it.

hfitzgerald0008
Community Novice

Any update on this?

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

Been looking at Neo learning platform by Cypher Learning - not only do they have partial marking but also the option to have text entry or html entry. You simply click an option to choose.

Runs on Ruby on rails - is this not the same as Canvas?

Come on Instructure!