[New Quizzes] Quiz and Item analysis needs to be faster

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

The new quizzes feature needs to have faster responses for the quiz and item analysis tool.  In the classic version, it computes in live time which allows faculty to begin analyzing the quiz right away.  Having to wait 24 hours (and in my experience longer than 24 hours), it delays our ability to post grades for the students in a timely manner.  Additionally, during midterms and finals weeks we often don't have 24 hours to wait to finalize grades as they have to be reported right away.  

Added to Theme

38 Comments
millerr
Community Member

I agree. Our faculty use the reports immediately to give feedback to the students the same day.

WilliamBlack
Community Novice

This needs to be addressed quickly. It is disappointing and unacceptable to have to wait to review this data.  

TaraRuppert
Community Novice

I used the new quiz format for the first time today and am very disappointed that the Item Analysis report won't be available until nearly 24 hours after my students finished the quiz.  This is inefficient and I hope it gets corrected before our only option is the new quiz format.

AndreaGarberina
Community Novice

In new quizzes, I am super frustrated that we do not get instant results in the item analysis reports in new quizzes. This limits our ability to get formative assessment immediately and how to proceed with student learning. 

epratt
Community Member

Holy crap--this was changed to "OPEN" status 18 months ago and it is still getting worse?? How are educators supposed to give timely feedback if our COMPUTERS and SERVERS cannot process a 10 question multiple choice quiz for over 24 hours? Let's go folks...or I'm going back to GradeCam for quizzes, especially when Classic Quizzes goes away.

KarenPotter
Community Member

I was forced to push out new the new format due to the need to create more dynamic questions for the students. I am shocked that the analytics are not available immediately as in classic quizzes. I did not have all the information even though I did what I believed to be extensive research. It looks like Canvas is silent on this issue, big dissatisfier for the students!! Had I known I would have waited until the bugs were worked out. Nursing schools are competitive and this is bad.

smoneal
Community Member

I am having the same issue and so are my instructors. We have emailed Canvas support just to be told that's how it is and they send us highlighted portions of their policies regarding this. One of our 30 question exams took over 24 hours to complete a report. I had an online exam that closed last night and the report is still running. At the rate the reports are taking to generate I don't expect a completed report from Canvas till this weekend so either I work this weekend or my students wait till Monday for an exam they completed Wednesday. How is that appropriate? This has been an issue for a couple years according to the concerns posted in this thread and if the classic quizzes could result in live time why can't new quizzes? I don't feel the results of the reports are different between to the two quizzes. 

jwalz
Community Participant

New Quizzes are lemons - for reasons just as this.   Please make it live and in real time.  There should be no delay in getting a report from a quiz that is completed.  Our instructors need to give feedback and gather an assessment of the results of a quiz immediately after the quiz is finished.  This is completely unacceptable.  Please fix it!

nadine_heinz
Community Explorer

I totally agree with the above comments. We should get quiz results immediately. Instructors won't understand why they have to wait so long for their reports. They think something's wrong with their quiz or the entire application. It would be nice to have a better solution. 
As a workaround Canvas could at least display the information that you have to wait up to 24 hours for the reports.

SK15
Community Member

THIS needs to be fixed ASAP! Medical programs need to be able to immediately evaluate the quiz questions for validity and difficulty and clarity of question asked, and having to wait 24 plus hours or having the data return piecemeal is not conducive to a positive student or faculty experience.  Had we known that this would be such an issue we may have chosen to utilize old quizzes for the time being for certain courses.