No new browser tab on To-Do items!

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Deploy Notes (2021-12-15)

Do not open a new browser tab each time I click on an item to grade from the to do list.  It gets very confusing and overloads and slows down my computer as I work.  Then I'm constantly having to close tabs all the time. 

40 Comments
michaels
Community Participant

I was coming here to make the same comment. This is ridiculous. This is what my browser looked like when I was halfway through my grading today (I use micro-assignments sometimes so there were a lot of submissions). This is not useful or helpful. At least give us the option of what it does, but if you can't then please turn it off. It is way easier to right click and open something in a new tab if that is what they want than to have to close the tab then refresh the Home page to see what still needs gradingTabs in Canvas.png

cdgray
Community Member

With the most recent update forcing Speedgrader to open in a new tab when clicking on assignments to grade in the To-Do list I am finding that it severely impacts my productivity and workflow; especially when I have multiple assignments to grade. By forcing it to open in a new tab it leaves a static tab open that does not update to reflect the work that has been completed. Additionally, when working though the grading process through multiple assignments, when I'm ready to move on I must either click the course link at the top of Speedgrader to navigate back to an up-to-date Homepage and To-Do list and close the original Homepage or close the Speedgrader tab and refresh the original Homepage to reflect the updated To-Do list. This adds extra steps to a process that, in my opinion, was perfectly fine and did not need adjusting. As I am sure there are those that disagree with me, I believe a simple fix would be to add a toggle in the course setting for an Instructor to dictate whether Speedgrader opens in a new tab, vs opening in the same tab.

ProfessorH2021
Community Member

I agree with the comments about the new browser tabs opening when clicking on Grade Assignment links from my "to do" list. It's messy because I now have many, many tabs open. Also, on the original tab I now have to click on "refresh" to see what's left in my "to do" list. (Before, the items disappeared immediately as soon as I graded--or almost immediately.)

Thanks for listening to our feedback. Overall, Canvas is awesome! Such an improvement to what I had when I first started teaching in the early 1990s--a paper and a pen!

ChristopherSean
Community Member

With the most recent update forcing Speedgrader to open in a new tab when clicking on assignments to grade in the To-Do list I am finding that it severely impacts my productivity and workflow; especially when I have multiple assignments to grade. By forcing it to open in a new tab it leaves a static tab open that does not update to reflect the work that has been completed. Additionally, when working though the grading process through multiple assignments, when I'm ready to move on I must either click the course link at the top of Speedgrader to navigate back to an up-to-date Homepage and To-Do list and close the original Homepage or close the Speedgrader tab and refresh the original Homepage to reflect the updated To-Do list. This adds extra steps to a process that, in my opinion, was perfectly fine and did not need adjusting. As I am sure there are those that disagree with me, I believe a simple fix would be to add a toggle in the course setting for an Instructor to dictate whether Speedgrader opens in a new tab, vs opening in the same tab.

ahovanes
Community Member

I hate speedgrader opening in a new tab too. It takes like 5 more steps to do the same thing! We have a lot of assignments and quizzes to check. Please change it back! Or make it a setting we can disable. 

krista_crowe
Community Member

I've been trying to figure out a problem I'm having in Canvas which just started last week.

The Grade Assignment Link in the To Do list opens Speed Grader in a new browser window. This change is NOT a benefit. THE CHANGE IS HORRIBLE. Evidently someone who does not use this feature made this change!
I use this all the time! This makes grading twice as long because now, instead of just going back to my home screen and it updates the To Do List automatically, I now have to close the new open window and then refresh the home screen adding steps to my routine I have been doing for 10 years. AS WELL AS, I NOW HAVE 100 OPEN WINDOWS BECAUSE I NEVER REMEMBER TO CLOSE THE WINDOW!! PPPLLLLEEEAAASSSEE!!!!!!! CHANGE IT BACK!!!!!!!!!!! This took a one step click and made it 5 steps!! BAD DECISION. If I need to go somewhere else with my complaint please let me know

patricia_lipsey
Community Participant

The ¨work -a-round¨ that seems to work best is :

When a new tab opens, immediately close the previous tab and work from the new tab.  Continue to do this so that you only have one tab open per course at any time. This keeps the To Do  List up to date  and a cleaner screen.  You just have to do it religiously each time. 

bbkunkel
Community Member

Thanks, Pat for sharing your ideas. You have great posts/ideas. This is what I am doing as well. However, I feel for what we are paying Canvas, this is not acceptable. Canvas needs options/differentiation/to listen to their users' needs.

Thank you!

bbkunkel
Community Member

I also do not feel Canvas is listening to user needs. I see posts that users want to be able to go to the dashboard after grading. Constantly opening new cumbersome tabs while grading is not the solution. This is totally different. When grading, simply have a link or drop-down that lets the grader choose where to go, the dashboard, or back 'home' when done. Please do not keep multiplying tabs.  😞

Thank you! 

erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi, all,

Our product team just finalized an engineering ticket to create a user setting, which will allow you to define how you want to open To Do tabs. Please watch the release notes for updates.

Thanks,

Erin