No new browser tab on To-Do items!

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Deploy Notes (2021-12-15)

Do not open a new browser tab each time I click on an item to grade from the to do list.  It gets very confusing and overloads and slows down my computer as I work.  Then I'm constantly having to close tabs all the time. 

40 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: In Development

bbkunkel
Community Member

THANK YOU!!

🙂

ChristopherSean
Community Member

Agree with Pat.

"am sure there was a reason for this change but it has certainly made my life more difficult.  Is it possible to turn this feature off.  I have 4 sections so when I grade if a new tab opens with each assignment my tabs become unmanageable unless I close the tab each time.  Even closing the tab, I have to go back to the original tab and refresh to clear the assignment that I just graded.  This new feature has added considerable time to my already heavy grading load.  Please make this an optional feature."

SusanNiemeyer
Community Contributor

So many great upgrades are being made in Canvas. I'm using the new Student Enhanced Assignments and love it. The Comments Library in Speedgrader is terrific.

However, this particular "upgrade" is a lemon. It's not helpful. It doesn't meet any need. It just slows everyone down. It leads to confusion and more work. We don't need a "work around." We just need it turned off. 

If Canvas can turn it on, Canvas can turn it off. Make it so.

mwolfenstein
Community Participant

I wound up in this thread accidentally, but I felt a need to comment on it. I'm glad that Instructure is adding an option for this, but this is a really good example of a case where whatever the default behavior is, it won't work for all users. I looked at this request and the comments about having too many tabs open and I just thought to myself, "Why don't people close the tab when they're done grading the assignment?" For me, it's a natural part of my workflow to close tabs in my browser that I'm not using. I understand that's not the case for a lot of people, but it really does come down to a user behavior where there are optimal practices if you're concerned about system performance that aren't actually dictated by how the web app behaves, but by how the user interacts with their browser. Anyway, I'm glad this feature is being added, but for someone in my role (Distance Education Faculty Coordinator) it will effectively offload something else Canvas specific I need to role into my training which will inevitably confuse some of my faculty. There are many design problems for which there are no perfect solutions.

patricia_lipsey
Community Participant

Hi mwolfenstein,  You are certainly correct that the ¨acceptability¨ of features depends on how the user employs Canvas.  I would think that the default should be the the setting that meets the needs of the majority of users.  I may be wrong and canvas can correct me but I expect that most users are teachers rather than administrators.  For correspondence ( non-grading) use, it´s easy to close a tab.  For teachers who are grading more than 100 assignments per day and are focused on meaningful and specific feedback, the additional step of closing 100 tabs is a burden.  I am delighted that Canvas will offer the option that meets both of our needs.  Best wishes as we continue on our Canvas journey!

ValerieCichy
Community Member

Hi @mwolfenstein , I'm not sure I agree with all of what you say. It is not simply you can close the tab you are working in. But, instead the new tab opens up, so if I need to continue working I have to close the tab & refresh the original page. Or close the previous tab everytime I click on the assignment. One assignment doesn't seem like a lot, but when you are grading 100+ tasks, this creates an inefficiency. I do agree this should be a choice as everyone has a different flow for how they need to do their work specific the role they have. 

This is something that's been making my work take even longer and I really wish I had a choice in this. 

krista_crowe
Community Member

YES!!! THANK YOU!!!  I have been fighting this same problem.  This is an awful change.  I'm so glad I'm not the only one who feels this way!!  I hope Canvas listens and this gets changed back to the way it was.  PLEASE!!!

BethBerthold
Community Novice

I has become very annoying to start grading from the to do list when a new window opens up every time. Then if you go back to the original window it still has assignments to grade when you do not. So then you need to refresh your original window. Please stop with the new windows!

ChristopherSean
Community Member

Agree with @BethBerthold 100%

"It has become very annoying to start grading from the to do list when a new window opens up every time. Then if you go back to the original window it still has assignments to grade when you do not. So then you need to refresh your original window. Please stop with the new windows!"