Numerical Answer questions need to allow regrade option

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

I would like to re-submit the previously archived feature idea for "Numerical Answer questions need to allow regrade option" from Scott Finkeldei and commented on by Rob Ditto.

This continues to be an issue for my institution, and I believe it may now be able to gather enough votes to proceed to the 'Gathering Information' stage.

"Currently only some question types allow regrading (Multiple Choice, True/False, Multiple Answers - How do I regrade a Quiz? )

Numerical question type (and other types) needs to support regrading.  There are many cases that are simple such as needing to expand the range to accommodate a rounding issue.

Rob Ditto has commented:

In addition to the rounding issue Scott Finkeldei mentioned, our faculty regularly cite real-world needs for Numerical Answer regrading.  Here are two examples:

• With questions involving percentages or probabilities, the author might not remember to enter two versions of the answer: e.g., 97 (meaning 97%) as well as 0.97.
  • Similarly, when answers involve units, the teacher or TA might want to count as correct a student's answer expressed in different units -- for example, 0.75 as the equivalent in minutes of 45 seconds.

Automatic regrading allows teachers to be fair to students who give alternate correct answers, avoiding extra time spent using Excel filtering of a Student Analysis .CSV to identify who should be awarded points manually.  The regrading automation originally developed for other question types in 2013 also gives students clear indications that a question was regraded, further benefiting learning.

Others had great contributions as well.  Please vote for this important feature and add your use cases and thoughts"

Comments from Instructure

This idea was completed with general availability of Quizzes.Next.  You can find more information about the overall project in the Quizzes.Next User Group.‌

• Quizzes.Next is now available for all paid accounts.
  • Quizzes.Next documentation will live in the Quizzes.Next User Group until July 14, 2018. On July 14, 2018, all of the documentation will be moved to the Canvas Guides in the Canvas Instructor Guide or Canvas Student Guide
  • Quizzes.Next updates will be included in the Canvas Release Notes. This includes new features, updated features, and relevant fixed bugs. New and updated features will be deployed to Quizzes.Next near the same time as the Canvas release. Fixed bugs may be deployed at any time.
32 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

ja46272‌, what started out as "Modern Quizzing Engine," now known as the Quizzes LTI, is in limited beta testing at this time. Check out https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/quizzes?sr=search&searchId=467378b8-870f-4842-b862-f238439fd2...‌.

bernd_gruber
Community Novice

This is a limitation that really is bad beyond belief. Not being able to update a numerical question, is something nobody understands. This is so trivial that only a completely ignorant programmer can come up to release such a question type without the feature.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas 

This idea was completed with general availability of Quizzes.Next.  You can find more information about the overall project in the Quizzes.Next User Group.‌

• Quizzes.Next is now available for all paid accounts.
  • Quizzes.Next documentation will live in the Quizzes.Next User Group until July 14, 2018. On July 14, 2018, all of the documentation will be moved to the Canvas Guides in the Canvas Instructor Guide or Canvas Student Guide
  • Quizzes.Next updates will be included in the Canvas Release Notes. This includes new features, updated features, and relevant fixed bugs. New and updated features will be deployed to Quizzes.Next near the same time as the Canvas release. Fixed bugs may be deployed at any time.
ericksad
Community Member

I completely agree. There should be automatic regrading of all question type for when mistakes are made. It is unacceptable that numerical answers do not allow automatic regrading. In addition sometime the change is as simple as increasing the range of acceptable answers. 

goodman
Community Novice

It's now April of 2019 and regrading still hasn't been extended to additional question types. Three years after this thread was started, but still no progress. It can't be difficult to implement this for additional question types such as numerical answer, and it's beyond belief that it hasn't been done.

RobDitto
Community Champion

@goodman  can your institution adopt Quizzes.Next? We did at Penn's business school, and several faculty have appreciated the long-awaited ability to regrade any question type including Numeric.

SHEBENE
Community Champion

They wouldn't update classic Quizzes as it will get phased out.

bsk
Community Novice

My first time using numerical answers in Canvas quiz.  What a disaster due to there being no remarking.   I now have to manually mark 250+ quizzes.  

Canvas should be embarrassed by their lack of remarking all question types, as well as all of their other shortcomings  (e.g., no speedgrading of PDFs in Quiz, while it works in Assignment.....  seriously?).  

pcatasti
Community Explorer

To prove one more time how abysmal Canvas is an LMS, let it be noted that nothing has been done in five years about expanding the question types that allow for quiz regrading.

So, if you teach a class of 100 students, and need to regrade the quiz score after having modified the key for one fill-in-the-blanks or numerical answer question, you are pretty much screwed.

Why Canvas even is such a popular LMS is beyond my comprehension, as it is managed by incompetents who understand nothing about instructor's needs and care about them even less.

The fact there is even an utterly useless Community forum is a testament to the futility of this product.

andrew_mathas
Community Participant

Regrading is an essential feature a on-line quiz system. Once again, I am surprised that this is not implemented in canvas even though it was request more than five years ago and has wide support from the canvas user-base.

Unfortunately, it seems to be a common pattern on this site that canvas users request features and the years go by without any apparent action, or even response, from the canvas team.