[Permissions] Allow user to copy course material but not edit the course material in the original course

Problem statement:

We created a Canvas course in which we house many faculty resources. We want faculty to be able to use the Copy To feature so that it is easy to copy over a quiz or page to their course without being able to edit the course in which the materials live. We do not want to post these materials in Canvas Commons, and we do not want them to be able to edit the original course, which are the two options when I talked to 3 different Canvas help desk folks. We also do not want faculty to have to Import/Export or Copy a Course. All these workarounds take too long for faculty to easily move from one course to another without editing the original course.

Proposed solution:

Can we get permissions to be even more meta so that this can be a feature we turn on or off in a role that we create on campus.

User role(s):

admin,designer

2 Comments
jpoulos
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Added to Theme

Thanks for submitting your feature idea! This seems like it fits well into the "Tools and functionality to help instructors or designers build engaging courses" theme, so I've associated it under that. I do not think this is necessarily best solved with a permission, but maybe a course setting? Like "Allow un-enrolled teachers to copy content from this course". Either way, the solution can be determines as more discovery may be done at a later time.

jpoulos
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Added to Theme