[Permissions] Create a process that allows to Export/Import Permissions, for a sub-account

I just created a new Sub-Account, under my root, Yay!, and now I want to use a specific Permissions configuration from another sub-account...

Ooops, there is no way to export a sub-account Permissions and import them elsewhere.  The default Permissions settings for this new sub-account were copied from the Root account Permissions.  Boo!

Any thoughts on adding an Import/Export button on the account Permissions page?

ashley_hardesty_0-1629737258310.png

Think of all the happy Pandas!

Added to Theme

6 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

jdick1
Community Participant

Only platform admins have access to the permissions management interface, which makes sense. However, the construction of roles and permissions is a larger discussion with various stakeholders outside of IT. Currently the only way to capture what a particular course or platform role can and cannot do is to:

1. Click the role title to expand the fly-out pane
  2. Copy and paste the information from the fly-out pane into...something else
  3. Clean up the formatting

It's time consuming and not great.

sara_weaver
Community Explorer

I would fully support this idea, but for a slightly different use-case. We have many sub-accounts for the different schools in our University, and it would be very helpful for them if they could have a single export they could use for onboarding/informational purposes. The Permissions UI is very nice, but it often involves a lot of scrolling. It would be great to have an export that shows all of these roles/permissions in one place. 

JMRemy
Community Member

I would also like to have the ability to export (to a .csv preferably) a complete set of permissions data for all of the account levels for our Canvas instance for audit purposes.  This would make the process so much faster!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme