Quiz Statistics: Restore Information about Which Students Selected Each Answer

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
  Idea will be open for vote Wed. October 7, 2015 - Wed. January 6, 2015  Learn more about voting...

There were two now archived feature ideas submitted to the Canvas Community, entitled “Restore Quiz Statistics” and “Drill Down to Individual Students”, both of which essentially asked Canvas to restore instructors’ abilities to directly see ON the Quiz Stats page which students selected each quiz answer. This is SO much easier and far less time consuming than needing to download a cumbersome spreadsheet file and plod through multiple questions and multiple students to discern which students gave particular answers for multiple questions.  This feature was very helpful in preparing both group AND individualized feedback for students.  Canvas used to have this wonderful feature, but for some reason eliminated it late this spring.  I honestly don’t understand why it was eliminated.  Yes, Canvas Community members could have upvoted the original "Restore Quiz Statistics" and "Drill Down to Individual Students" feature ideas, but I submit many didn't know this feature was removed while the voting period was open during the summer months.

Thanks to all for considering this suggestion!

Comment from Instructure

We have some great news!

Check out the Canvas Production Release Notes (2015-10-10) for more information!

Quizzes

Quiz Question Breakdown by User

When instructors view the breakdown of a quiz question, they can see the number of respondents for each answer choice. This statistic is in addition to the percentage of respondents. Instructors can click the respondents link to view the names of the students who chose each specific answer.

9 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

pastedImage_0.png

Thank you for your Feature Idea submission.  As you pointed out   was submitted in a different voting period and received 11 votes.  It contains valuable discussion and insight that is applicable as this discussion moves through the voting process.

Thank you for the resubmission and we look forward to seeing how the Community prioritizes it in this next round!

We also encourage you to check out this article that can help you maximize the exposure and support of your Feature Idea: How do I write a good feature idea submission?

hunter
Community Novice

Thank you for re-posting this feature. I am saddened that Instructure took away a feature that higher education teachers were using just because K-12 teachers had a different use for the tool (that is literally the response I received on the help ticket I submitted when the quiz analytics first disappeared). Instructure needs to understand that even though higher ed and K-12 are both about education that we use tools differently. I have 4 faculty ready to vote on this so they thank you as well for submitting their request.

A00017008
Community Member

Thanks, Jennifer!  Perhaps someone from Instructure could address why K-12 educators interest in a different tool obviated retaining the ability to see directly within Quiz Statistics which students selected each answer.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

We have some great news!

Check out the Canvas Production Release Notes (2015-10-10) for more information!

Quizzes

Quiz Question Breakdown by User

When instructors view the breakdown of a quiz question, they can see the number of respondents for each answer choice. This statistic is in addition to the percentage of respondents. Instructors can click the respondents link to view the names of the students who chose each specific answer.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

ROI.png

Thank you to A00017008  for submitting this idea, as well as, hunter and roberrol for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of the Canvas! Smiley Happy

roberrol
Community Explorer

My first accepted product enhancement! I am just beaming with pride... Thanks for the seeing it through!

A00017008
Community Member

Thanks tremendously to those who originally submitted this idea, to all who voted, and of course to the Canvas team for refining this feature!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed