Recurring Activity Option for Calendar

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea will be open for vote May 5th - August 5th, 2015  Learn more about voting...

36270_photo_calendar.jpgphoto_calendar.jpg

The calendar application is great! When I learned about it, it made it much easier to view all of my upcoming assignments. As part of my assignment for the calendar tutorial I had to add events.

I found it a bit time consuming to enter the same event on multiple days. I think it would be more efficient if there was a "recurring" option when entering events. Also if the calendar was able to link to Google's calendar that would be ideal too!

Given that many of today's smartphones are equipped with Google it would be easy to view our canvas calendar events on our google events all at once.

Just some ideas Thanks!

Comments from Instructure...

"Batch Event Creator" has been released in Canvas Beta Release Notes (2015-09-08)

October 2015 Update

Thank you to everyone that provided feedback to assist us in processing this idea.  The consensus is that the "Recurring Events" feature meets a majority of needs (40%-meets my needs, 60%-partially meets my needs, 0%-does not meet my needs).

We are going to mark this feature as complete.  If you are seeking additional advancements to the calendar, please begin by searching the Canvas Feature Ideas for ideas that have already been submitted.  Don't see what you are looking for?  New ideas can be submitted via a new feature idea.

65 Comments
stelpstra
Community Champion

Please check for the different dates that counties switch daylight saving times:

Daylight Saving Time–second half of 2015

Amsterdam is changing on 25 Oct 2015, see Time changes in year 2015 for Netherlands – Amsterdam

I was guessing the underlying system time is used for the recurring items and not the time of the respective timezone.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Recurring Events feature has been deployed and you can find more information in the Canvas Production Release Notes (2015-09-19)

Recurring Events

When creating a new calendar event for a course, instructors can choose to create multiple copies of the event every day, week, or month. Once created, recurring events are not linked together and are independent events. Therefore, if users need to modify an event, each event has to be modified individually.

We need your feedback as we move forward in addressing Recurring Activity Option for Calendar

Please help us by filling out a quick survey: Recurring Calendar Feature Idea

stelpstra
Community Champion

There are more people (from the US) having the same issues.

See the comments by  @applem  and  @ordwaye  on Canvas Beta Release Notes (2015-09-08)

They are in other time zones than UTC+1:00.

peytoncraighill
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

On it. Thanks!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Thank you to everyone that provided feedback to assist us in processing this idea.  The consensus is that the "Recurring Events" feature meets a majority of needs (40%-meets my needs, 60%-partially meets my needs, 0%-does not meet my needs).

We are going to mark this feature as complete.  If you are seeking additional advancements to the calendar, please begin by searching the Canvas Feature Ideas for ideas that have already been submitted.  Don't see what you are looking for?  New ideas can be submitted via a new feature idea.

vkg
Community Contributor

Hi, folks.  I wonder if we could get an update on the Daylight Saving Time bug expected fix time?  At Michigan we've held off on turning this feature on (we just have it set to allow) pending resolution.

If other institutions have turned it on, I'd be interested in hearing how much of an issue the bug has been.

Thanks,

Victoria

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@vkg ​, if you scroll down through the Fixed Bugs for this week's Production Release Notes - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-5189#jive_content_id__Fixed_Bugs - it says that the problem is being fixed this Saturday! Just in time for daylight savings! Happy Halloween!! Smiley Happy

Calendar

Daylight Savings and Recurring Calendar Events

The Recurring Calendar Event feature creates events according to the user’s time zone.

Explanation: When the Recurring Calendar Event feature had been enabled for an institution, and an instructor created a recurring event for a course, the calendar was not creating events to account for daylight savings time. This behavior occurred because the calendar was only setting the event in iso8601 format without considering the proper time zone. Canvas code has been updated to configure recurring events using the time zone specified in course settings.

vkg
Community Contributor

Woo-hoo!  Thank you, Kona.

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Kona:

In case this did not show up on your Fb wall, check out this movie trailer about Daylight Savings Time -  it's a hoot!

Daylight Saving: Spring Forward - Movie Trailer - YouTube

It's a thriller, and maybe even Deactivated user​ would like it!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

That was awesome and got more than a couple chuckles out of me! Thanks for sharing!